Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3800 Series II

Good Citizen

Default 3800 Series II

Hey, does anyone know if there is a retailer that sells performance parts for 3800 series II engines? I was wanting to see how much new heads would cost, but so far I can't find a retailer that caters to this engine. There is a lot for the ls1 engine, but so far nothing for the 3800.

Thanks

gtp405

Yoda of Radar

Yeah there are TONS of parts for the L67! High Performance Pontiac did a GTP buildup a year or so ago. I think they got up to 430 hp and then the tranny blew up and they rebuilt it with "stronger" parts.

You could always see what people are doing on www.clubgp.com ...

Good Citizen

Sweet sites! Thanks! Yeah, there's this one place called "INTENSE Racing" where they've done a TON of work to a grand prix. It's really cool. The horsepower gains they have made are unbelievable... I didn't think a block like that could handle so much horsepower:

"It was also first to break the 3800 FWD quarter mile barriers of 11.50, 11.00 and 10.50 seconds. As the 2005 race season began, we were closing in on 800 Horsepower, and planned to break into the nines. This goal was accomplished in October 2005 with a 9.996-second pass, and our team is convinced there’s much more where that came from."

-http://www.intense-racing.com/ (click on garage > turbo project)

Newcomer

I have to say that ZZPerformance is my favorite aftermarket dealer for the Grand Prix.

Yoda of Radar

Sub-9 second quarter miles on a FWD car??? And if it's FWD, why the hell does it need that brace sticking off the back, I thought that was for RWD only?

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    Sub-9 second quarter miles on a FWD car??? And if it's FWD, why the hell does it need that brace sticking off the back, I thought that was for RWD only?
    ^ Getting as much traction as possible is always good - physics dictate that you'll nose-up on launch, and the more you can prevent that in a FWD vehicle, the better (typically - but I'd like to qualify my statement above by saying that I've NEVER had experience in a FWD vehicle that's THAT fast!!!!! :shock: I hope that this statement remains true, but if it is not, someone *please* correct me, and I apologize in-advance for my ignorance!).

Yoda of Radar

Physics dictates that a FWD car only noses up until the front tires leave the ground, which is a lift of what, half an inch? Hardly enough for that rear brace thing to really make a difference.

Old Timer

^ Not necessarily - any loss in traction is typically detrimental.

Even with our AWD vehicles, a not-insignificnat difference can be had in terms of 0-60 as well as quarter-mile times when the only change is the suspension, with the rear squatting *less*.

Remember when several car-rags got better 0-60 and quarter-mile times with the actually worse-for-"acceleration" (sorry for the use of this word, which is imprecise and inaccurate, but I hope you understand my meaning) geared (due to the fact that it needed a 2 to 3 shift to get up to 60) Legacy 2.5GT SpecB, as compared to the standard 2.5GT? Yes, a part of that could be attributed to the tires (but again the wheel/tire sizing on the SpecB should have proved unfavorable as well), but the suspension modifications of the OEM SpecB helped this *a lot,* which was later proven by us end-hobbyists on various drag-strips.

This is why you'll see FWD cars "jacked up" - and also why in many instances, you'll see what nautica2o3 used to do with his buddies with their FWD beaters (detailed in another thread) - bring up rear inflation pressures to near max-cold while somewhat deflating the front.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    Physics dictates that a FWD car only noses up until the front tires leave the ground, which is a lift of what, half an inch? Hardly enough for that rear brace thing to really make a difference.
    That brace is trying to keep more force on the front tires. On a RWD car when you launch, weight transfers rearward helping traction, on a FWD car it transfers rearward, hurting traction If anything they are more necessary on a FWD car (on an RWD they put that so you can steer )