Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Default Reviving a sitting car...

Does anyone have any advice for bringing a car back to life after its been sitting for over a year?? thanks

Speed Demon

Default Re: Reviving a sitting car...

Carb or fuel injection?

Radar Fanatic

fuel injection I'm pretty sure. Its a early 90s geo metro 1.3 4cyl motor, 5speed manual

Speed Demon

1. Drain old fuel from tank and refill with new. If you have to drop the tank to drain out the fuel, I would go ahead and replace the electric fuel pump and in tank filter while I was doing this repair. (Assuming this is a fuel injected engine)

2. Replace in line fuel filter

3. Change oil and filter

4. Replace battery

5. Check all fluids and top off

Radar Fanatic

thanks for the reply I was taking a look at it earlier today and the engine has had its fair share of rodents camping out. I wonder how i can get that cr*p cleaned off without using lots of water or harsh solvents I dont want to short out the electrical systems.

Lead Foot

I would not think you need a new fuel pump, and the battery might be good if you charge it prior to trying to start the car.

Suggestion... Have the battery checked and see if it holds a charge... Might save $100

Speed Demon

when i cleaned up my corvette i put plastic bags around my electrical connectors and taped them offf, and i used a spray degreaser, and scrubbed and cleaned it and lightly rinsed it and dried it off with towels....but search the internet on the best thing to do because i do not want to give you bad advice lol, and no problem man just here to help

Newcomer

Rodents can fray wires. Check those. Also, check brake calipers for seizing, and perhaps flush the lines with fresh fluid.

Lead Foot

Yeah, that is more good advice. In reality, the calipers will probably not seize, but I have seen some weird stuff happen especially after the battery goes brick dead!

The brakes are a sealed system generally containing DOT3 (sometimes DOT4) bake fluid. You can visually look at the fluid and it should look clear like water. If it is dark like coffee or milky or anything like that, change the fluid. Otherwise, I would personally go by the owner's manual. There is so much pressure, the brake fluid would hopefully unseize a caliper.

Modern cars with advanced ECUs, Traction Contral, ABS, Brake Assist, and Brakeforce Distribution are unique. I had a totally dead battery when I left a car sitting for two weeks. The brakes felt funny, the radio would reboot spontaneously, headlights would dim at intersections, and a tight turn caused power stearing light issues.

Next day, I had the battey replaced under warranty, and just when I was feeling good about saving all that money, I got a speeding ticket on the way back from visiting the car dealer

Definitely, replace the gas as best you can. You can siphon it out (dont' use your mouth). I don't think you need to remove your tank. If you are going to let it sit again, you might poot a fuel stablizer in the tank.

Radar Fanatic

Great help thanks guys While we're talking about seized up parts, does anyone know how to get a bolt off a crankshaft. in the pic I attached is the offender. If I use too much force almost all wrenches break or I end up spinning the crankshaft in the wrong direction. I've tried WD40, oil, impact wrench(kinda crappy one), heat torch, and even starter bump all to no luck
    Attached Images Attached Images