• Login:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User Array

Default Clear bra over time - worth it?

The guy that did my window tint is also (being a good business person, of course) trying to convince me to ditch my regular bra for a clear one. He talked about how the regular bras trap dirt and sandpaper your paint, etc. (Though I am pretty anal about the car, all my cars, and in my case I remove the bra every week, do a total car wash, and re-wax the frontal area if needed). Since I drive (at least for now) a lot of miles each month, across sandy, dusty deserts and behind semi-trucks, I need front end protection. Since I had the tint done he offered to do the front end of car with VentureShield for $400. From poking around on other forums, like the Corvette forum, this is a pretty good deal.

Just wondering if anyone has run with this and how they hold up over time and miles.

I also thought of keeping the existing bra over clear one, should I get it, to add a little something extra to the LI's I am planning to add before summer.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Power User Array

Default Re: Clear bra over time - worth it?

?

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300

Banned Array

Part of the front of my truck has it, for 30,000 miles. Its held up but honestly a show truck isn't the best example because it never sees rain and stays in the garage when not driven.

Yoda of Radar Array

I prefer no bra... gets to the action quicker... plus I know up-front how nice they really are...

See my avatar for more details...

Oh wait, wait... this is the CAR section... sorry.
    Oh yeah, yeah I got no opinion on that.

(Really though)... I had my 1G talon with a (1/2) mini-bra for it... and to be honest I didn't clear it out as much as I should have... and it still ended up looking better than the rest of the hood: Because all the chips that would have formed from rocks and debris on the thruway etc... were not there... where the rest of the hood had nicks/divots/chips that wax couldn't solve.

So if you wash and wax under the Bra every week, the only impact you might see is the odd fading of the hood with Bra vs no bra.

Never had a use for the clear ones personally...
    "It's like a hobby for her..."

Radar Fanatic Array

I have seen cars that have had the clear bra on for several years and over time they look like crap. honestly they look like crap from the get go. whats the point of them? yea I know to keep them from getting chipped up but for what? are people going to remove them some day to enjoy the look of the car all nice?

to me its like the little old lady with the plastic all over the furniture. they make it last longer but its uncomfortable and ugly.

now the regular bra at least gives it a different look, reduces your lidar signature and in some cases makes cars look cooler.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
    I have seen cars that have had the clear bra on for several years and over time they look like crap. honestly they look like crap from the get go. whats the point of them? yea I know to keep them from getting chipped up but for what? are people going to remove them some day to enjoy the look of the car all nice?

to me its like the little old lady with the plastic all over the furniture. they make it last longer but its uncomfortable and ugly.

now the regular bra at least gives it a different look, reduces your lidar signature and in some cases makes cars look cooler.
    Depends a lot on the paint color and who's film it is. There are some brands where you cannot tell they are there and others which yellow fast and look like crap! There's even a spray on, when install by a good professional is completely indistinguishable from the rest of the vehicle (a member here with a Porsche has it and I didn't know until he pointed it out).
    Last edited by The Chariot; 05-16-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Power User Array

I'd stick with the black bra and save my $$ on the clear. I always figured the clear bras were for folks who couldn't live with the looks of a regular bra...

I need a windshield bra. Does anyone else go through windshields like tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    Speed isn't everything.
    Rob would know...

I got a ticket on the 4th of July...

Radar Fanatic Array

Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post

Depends a lot on the paint color and who's film it is. There are some brands where you cannot tell they are there and others which yellow fast and look like crap! There's even a spray on, when install by a good professional is completely indistinguishable from the rest of the vehicle (a member here with a Porsche has it and I didn't know until he pointed it out).
    I suppose but I have seen some high end jobs and I can still see them and to me they all look like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    I'd stick with the black bra and save my $$ on the clear. I always figured the clear bras were for folks who couldn't live with the looks of a regular bra...

I need a windshield bra. Does anyone else go through windshields like tires?
    my Jeep does I still need to get a new one for it and tires, so for now it just sits next to my TA (which needs one too)
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Power User Array

I guess for the time being, I'll stick with what I have. Besides, the funds for that should really go toward my LI's.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300

Street Lawyer Array

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    I guess for the time being, I'll stick with what I have. Besides, the funds for that should really go toward my LI's.
    x2

Any statements, opinions, written material, forms or similar written or distributed communications contained in my posts are purely available for informational and educational purposes, and are solely my informed opinion and is not legal advice or a substitute for the advice of an attorney. If you are seeking legal advice regarding your particular situation, please consult a[n] [in]competent attorney in your area. I am not a real attorney and my opinions may not be relevant to your particular situation or the facts of your particular case.

Spoiler: show

Blinder HP-905 Dual up front
    Bel STi-R Remote, X OFF, SWS ON, POP ON, RDR OFF, KA 2/3 - 33.8, 5/6 34.7 and 8/9 35.5 ON, all other KA segments off.

Previous countermeasures:
    2007ish-2014 Sold with vehicle

Roadmaster VR-3 VRVD640G In-dash DVD/GPS system with Speed/Redlight Camera alerts
    Radioshack Pro-97 Triple-Trunk analog scanner
    Cobra 19 ULTRA III CB Radio w/ Little Wil Antenna
    2009 - 2013 Blinder M25 Jammer 2-head(J16) system up front.

2008-2009 Whistler XTR-695

2006-2008 Passport SRX 2 front, 1 back plate (Fried, sent to KustomEagle)

October 2002-2006 RadioShack Talking 360 Degree Laser/Radar Detector w/VG-2 Guard Cat #22-1682 non-FCC certified

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast