Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default What's your drive train?

I currently have a FWD car and HATE it, torque steer is a b***ch. I test drove a Lexus is250 AWD and it didn't seem all that great, maybe it was just the car? What do you guys prefer? AWD, RWD, or FWD ()? I'm thinking about getting a 335i/330i/G8/S4 and would like to know how you guys feel about the different drive trains. I was also thinking about a TL Type S, but FWD .

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: What's your drive train?

Quote Originally Posted by SteadySpeedin View Post
    I currently have a FWD car and HATE it, torque steer is a b***ch. I test drove a Lexus is250 AWD and it didn't seem all that great, maybe it was just the car? What do you guys prefer? AWD, RWD, or FWD ()? I'm thinking about getting a 335i/330i/G8/S4 and would like to know how you guys feel about the different drive trains. I was also thinking about a TL Type S, but FWD .
    I have 2 RWD and an AWD. FWD sucks. Torque steer I can deal with, but the understeer I hate.

RWD is the most fun by far.

Radar Fanatic

Alright I'll keep that in mind

Radar Fanatic

Alright I'll keep that in mind
    If I lived in PA I'd be looking at AWD though ... RWD is not much good in snow.

Radar Fanatic

I can't take this area too much longer. I'm originally from the Cincinnati area of Ohio and the difference between here and there is HUGE. I'm so tired of having nothing to do and buggies always riding in my lane. The roads here are terrible as well, I would never have low pro tires or a body kit here . It amazes me really, as soon as I cross into Maryland the roads are perfect, PA should take some notes lol. Anyways I'll be in Florida in 2 years and it will be about 10-12 months before I get a new car so I think I can survive 1 winter

Banned

RWD with switchable on the fly 4WD from inside the cab. I use 4WD for full throttle launches.... Rear differential is a locker.

Lead Foot

RWD for sure. even the more "unpredictable" areas seem predictable. it is a lot more fun, and with the knowledge, a lot easier to control.

Experienced

It depends on the purpose of the car.
    I've had 7 FWD, 4 AWD and 1 RWD vehicle, aside from my wife's cars. I've driven a number of each besides mine own.
    FWD understeer is horrible under aggresive driving conditions. however, I've found it to be good in the snow, and predictable in the rain. no complaints for a leisurely commuting car.
    RWD is doable in weather, if you don't mind white knuckles. very unpredictable in the snow and sketchy in heavy rain. fun to drive aggresively, ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT.
    AWD. I'm a believer. the performance will obviously depend on what awd system you have, but Audi and Subaru AWD systems are truely impressive. Audi has the best awd system, but the vehicles (i have owned) felt developed for DRY roads. my two subarus drove on snowy and wet roads like dry roads.

Professional

Get a G8 but get an automatic. The manual gear box is very agricultural.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

One RWD and one FWD. I can make both of them understeer or oversteer when I'm slowing down; it's what happens in a front driver when you try to accelerate that kills the fun.