Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snoopyc4

Default TopGear: BMW M5 Review

Part 1:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8&feature=channel]YouTube - BMW M5 roadtest part 1 - Top Gear - BBC[/ame]

Part 2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZVkdzXzFQ&feature=channel]YouTube - BMW M5 roadtest part 2 - Top Gear - BBC[/ame]

Default Re: TopGear: BMW M5 Review

I firmly believe the E60 M5 with that sweet S85 engine is too much for the US highway, that S85 is an F1 derived engine (incredibly marvelous technological achievement) where it really shines on the higher rpms but try to redline on the 3rd gear and you will be going straight to jail and have your car towed if you get pulled over. No where in the US to really "use" the car to even it's minimum potential, I often laughed when I see them in NYC sitting in traffic, that poor poor S85

Speed Demon

Huge fan of all of the M-Series vehicles but recently the new AMGs have been grabbing my attention, especially the E-63.

Lead Foot

Not a fan of the larger cars, but i love the M series. BMW does an amazing job of making it feel like you're driving something that weighs half as much. And that goes for all their models.

Im still a firm believer that the bmws made around 1999-2003 were the best drivers cars bmw ever put out. Across all the series manufactured then. Now they've just kind of diluted the brand and spread themselves too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Footr View Post
    Im still a firm believer that the bmws made around 1999-2003 were the best drivers cars bmw ever put out. Across all the series manufactured then. Now they've just kind of diluted the brand and spread themselves too thin.

they've refined them too much. instead of making cars for "drivers" they are making cars for the "average". way to many electronic gizmos. and whats with the "M" button? thats just gay. the car is an M5 it should only have one mode "max performance" all the time. if people want a soft ride or lower performance go buy a Buick or a base 5 because you can bet that 90% of the people that buy these things in the US never push the "M" button. they buy them for the status symbol. That's what has happened to BMW they have gone from a drivers car to a status symbol.
    Last edited by lugnuts; 06-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Power User

One of the best looking cars ever. It could've been THE BEST looking car ever if it didn't have such a jellybean looking roofline/greenhouse...

Sure, the new M5 is a monster but it just doesn't warrant that "second glance" response that a really nice looking car elicits.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticZen View Post
    I firmly believe the E60 M5 with that sweet S85 engine is too much for the US highway, that S85 is an F1 derived engine (incredibly marvelous technological achievement) where it really shines on the higher rpms but try to redline on the 3rd gear and you will be going straight to jail and have your car towed if you get pulled over. No where in the US to really "use" the car to even it's minimum potential, I often laughed when I see them in NYC sitting in traffic, that poor poor S85
    Way too big and too heavy for me, but I disagree with the statement that you can't really "use" the car in the U.S.

Pick your spots and/or find a proper track (meaning not a parking lot or drag strip, LOL). Laguna, Willow Springs ... I'd find that redline

Professional

have u seen the Jaguar XFR review by top gear? That is a sexy, fast, yet not so fast looking car.

5.0 Supercharged V-8 mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post

One of the best looking cars ever. It could've been THE BEST looking car ever if it didn't have such a jellybean looking roofline/greenhouse...

Sure, the new M5 is a monster but it just doesn't warrant that "second glance" response that a really nice looking car elicits.
    I totally agree here. This was one of the best looking and best performing sedans the M division came out with, and you could have got it with a 6 MT. The cool thing is that you can find them for under 20K now.

Radar Fanatic

The E39 was undoubtedly one of the best looking cars on the road, made to look even better by the appearance of the E60. Nice to see the new F10 has been de-Bangled.