Well, I'm sure most of you saw the thread where my car got keyed. The whole ordeal really pissed me off but I decided not to dwell on it and instead, capitalize on an opportunity to build a kick ass car.
I'm basically going to use this thread to document my cars progress over the next month and a half where it will then be stored for upcoming events.
So far the comprehensive build list is below, it will likely change dependent on the feasibility of some of my ideas and the constraints of my budget.
- Bodywork repaired
- Repainted satin black (20-30% gloss)
- Blinder M47 rear heads will be flush mounted into the rear of the trunk, right next to the taillights. The front heads will be mounted in the upper grill of the front fascia, all mounting hardware will be painted satin black to match paint.
- Quad bi-xenon projector retrofit is being performed on the headlights for optimum light output. Inside of housing will be painted satin black and all chrome will be removed. Head and tail lamp lens will be airbrushed with Veil. White strobes will also be placed into the head and tail lamps.
- Tail lamps will also be clear coated with the satin clear in order to provide a flat tinted appearance.
- Antennex CB 27 permanent NMO mount antenna installed on trunk
- All windows re-tinted to 20% instead of the current limo
- Install front camera *camera will turn on when vehicle slows below 8 mph
- Blinder M47 wired and connected to factory navigation system for auto-mute of the factory system during alerts. The leds and speaker will be integrated into the rearview mirror.
- Beltronics STI-R Plus remote system installed and concealed display integreated into rear view mirror.
- Cobra 75wxst remote CB radio installed in center console w/ external speaker located under seat
- Rebuild steering wheel by adding additional foam, building thumb rests, adding paddle shifters and wrapping in suede.
- Install AEM digital wideband O2, fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges, suede wrap gauge pillar
- Wrap dash, center console, and door panels in suede
- 7" touchscreen headrest monitors
- Wiring for halos, strobes, tail light and all rear light kill switches, exhaust cut outs, car pc, etc.
- Wire and install Car PC w/ GPS, garmin navigation w/ trapster POIs, and DVR software to record drives on the camera that is being installed in the rear view mirror.
- Install new camshaft, push rods, valve springs and retainers
- I got rid of the heavy and gaudy 22" rims and picked up a set of 20" forged wheels. I am considering a few powder coating options for the wheels, I either want to do them in satin black or bronze. Any thoughts?
- Also going to need to change out the tires, I am considering either the Pirelli P-Zero, Nitto Invo, or the Nitto NT-05.
- 85mm throttle body
- Install black ceramic coated long tube headers and exhaust
- Install big brake kit and coilover system
- Add a strut tower brace and sway bars
- Dyno tune
That's it for now, I will add progress pictures of the car every few days. If anyone has any cool ideas, shoot them over.
Fabrication work should be starting any day now, the shop has been pretty swamped with work. Hopefully some interesting stuff will begin next week.
Well the shop basically lied to me regarding the body and fabrication work. The car arrived yesterday at the performance shop with a crappy prime shop and absolutely none of the body work finished. I was originally told that all of the body work would be repaired, fabrication work finished and the car would be primed satin black before it went to the performance shop. That was a few weeks ago and I'm beginning to get angry. I guess that's neither here nor there though.
Below I've posted some pictures of the custom shifter bezel that I built. It's got four switches that will be used to control various countermeasures as well as a remote mute button for one of the radar detectors. I've also attached a few photos of the projectors and shrouds that I'll be using for the headlights. I'm using Moritomoto mini bi-xenon projectors with custom fitted Gatling Gun shrouds.
200 square feet of fatmat rattle trap also arrived today. This stuff is 80mm thick and all-in-all weighs about 90lbs. It will be applied from the firewall through to the trunk, as well as over the doors and on the roof. This should drastically reduce what is heard in the interior while also making the sound system sound better.
Finally I picked up a pair of OEM AMG paddle shifters that I will be wiring into the steering wheel. I'm hoping to get the steering wheel thickened and rewrapped before doing so but it's a bit difficult to find reasonable pricing.
10/25/10 - Here's a few pictures of the new wheels, pictures really don't do them justice. The faces are done in a 20% gloss black and the barrels are flat anodized red.
I'm still waiting on front/rear strut towers, a subframe brace and front/rear sway bars. All of which should help keep the vehicle stable at high speeds.
I'll be picking up my Brembos at the end of the week, I will immediately have them disassembled and powder coated to match (along with the other suspension components). I will also be adding slotted rotors and stainless brake lines.
Well my build is nearing completion, the interior is being put back together and all of the counter-measures/tech goodies will go in over the next week or so. Here are a few images of the car with the wheels, it's turning out exactly as I wanted.
Fenders were suppose to be fabricated with some vents but it didn't quite work out as planned. The next phase of the build will be to find a carbon fiber hood, trunk and some fenders. They will then be sanded down to rid them of the gloss and then a satin clear coat will be applied.
The rear end is a bit high but thats because the coilovers have yet to go in to drop it a bit. Not to mention there's currently no trunk, carpet, seats, or audio equipment.
Also adding a new alarm system with a proximity sensor and SmartStart functionality to my cellphone.