Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Favorite brand of receiver besides Alpine?

I just spent a day bloodying and stressing myself to the breaking point while trying to get an XM Direct kit installed with my Alpine head unit. After four phone calls to Crutchfield I finally determined that it can't be done with a CDA-9847 despite the fact that they said it would work. So the whole freaking thing is going back and I'm starting with nothing but a big hole in my dash. I need a new sat-ready head unit and I'll be damned if it's going to be another Alpine. (Before you say anything this is a confirmed problem...not just me, not just a fluke.)

Any suggestions for a good sat-ready head unit in the $200-300 range? I had a Pioneer that I liked once upon a time but it's been a while. Also heard some good things about Kenwood but no first-hand experience. This is definitely the wrong message board but at least I'll get intelligent responses vs. the ricer forums. Thoughts?

Yoda of Radar

This is definitely the wrong message board but at least I'll get intelligent responses vs. the ricer forums.
    HAHA and true!

OK. In my car, I have an Alpine unit. Why? It came in my free parts car and just happened to hook up to the wires that were in the hole in my dash

I like the sound quality but it takes a 3 CD cartridge to play the CD's. I can't find one anywhere, or at least one for less than $50 :shock:

Probably the best radio to use with XM would be a Delco right? Does Delco even make radios anymore? Keep your GM car all GM that's what I say 8)

Advanced Member

I like kenwood and pioneer....sony is ok

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

I'm pretty happy with my Clarion. It does skip a little more on CD than most of the Pioneers that i've seen, but it was nearly their cheapest model.

Yoda of Radar

(As far as the title question of the post is concerned)My favorite brands:

I have always been a fan of Eclipse HU's.
    Other names out there I enjoy:
    Nakamichi
    McIntosh (Outlandishly expensive, but WOW)
    (Most of these aforementioned companies units can break the bank... but it is what I dealt with in car audio and enjoyed)

That being said Alpine is probably the best HU for the dollar.
    Their price-to-performance ratio is great as far as HU's are concerned.
    HU's are by far the strong suit for Alpine (some of their highest end models are pretty well near the pinnacle of HU's), and I wouldnt let your mishap discourage you from using them...however,
    If you really want to look elsewhere you can (without breaking the bank) check out Pioneer/Kenwood they are ok midline stuff.

Lead Foot

Judging by this it should work. Perhaps you just need a different sat receiver?

Radar Fanatic

It should work but it doesn't. I have done some research and I think that the problem is not with the head unit but with the Terk equipment that is supposed to interface with it. I went to Crutchfield's website and tried reading reviews of the Terk XM receiver by people who use it with other brands, and the same problems seem to be cropping up with those, too.

I was advised that Pioneer makes their own XM tuner for their head units, and it gets really good reviews. So that's probably what I'll do since the price is nearly identical to my current setup. I'm annoyed at having to give up the Alpine equipment but I guess that's just how it goes.

Lead Foot

How much more is a different XM receiver? The point I am trying to make is this: if it is Terk that is not standards compliant now (and by the way, terk's terrestial antennas suck, so thats a bad start!) what makes you think it will work later in the future when you change your setup again?

If it were me I would fix the problem, not change my equipment to accomidate the problem...

Radar Fanatic

I think it will work when I change equipment because the equipment is the problem. Terk's XM receiver doesn't interface properly with my Alpine unit, and it sounds like it doesn't interface particularly well with any other brand, either. This problem can be resolved, as I see it, by getting a receiver and XM tuner that are made bu the same maunfacturer: Pioneer. (Alpine used to have an XM tuner but it's been discontinued.)

As far as cost, the Pioneer tuner will cost me exactly what I'm getting back from the return of the Terk equipment. I can get a compatible receiver for about the same as what I'm getting back for the Alpine head unit. So it's pretty much even money.

**EDIT**
    ReadyRadar: I just realized what you are saying. You are absolutely right. I'm solving the problem by getting rid of the Terk equipment all together. We're on the same page, it just took me a second to realize it.

I have an Eclipse deck in my Saab and I am very satisfied with it. They may be a bit more expensive than others, but they are well worth it. Mine (CD5435) is XM compatible and I think most of them are. Stay away from Sony, as those decks sound like crap, and a lot of people seem to just buy them for the name.