Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual vs. Auto

Radar Fanatic

Default Manual vs. Auto

What do you guys like better and why? Ill be getting a new car soon and I'm not sure if I will get a manual or an auto. I'll be moving to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami pretty soon. I know some people say driving a manual in the city is a pain in the A$$, but how do you guys feel about it? I suck at driving manual now (only because I've attempted it twice and no one has a car to teach me), but does it grow on you?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Manual vs. Auto

If you know how to drive a stick then shifting is second nature — in traffic or otherwise. If you're one of those people who like to eat, text, talk on the phone or whatever then I could see it being a pain in the ass and an auto being easier.

Manual = more fun, better gas mileage, nobody will think you are a woman, and you'll always be at the correct RPM at your apexes.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    If you know how to drive a stick then shifting is second nature — in traffic or otherwise. If you're one of those people who like to eat, text, talk on the phone or whatever then I could see it being a pain in the ass and an auto being easier.

Manual = more fun, better gas mileage, nobody will think you are a woman, and you'll always be at the correct RPM at your apexes.
    My wife would kick your a$$ if she read your comment about woman/manual tranny... She always had manual tranny cars until we got married... Her last stick shift was a 2002 S2000. She drove that with heels on... That's why I married her. . Now she'll kick my a$$ for saying that.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post

My wife would kick your a$$ if she read your comment about woman/manual tranny... She always had manual tranny cars until we got married... Her last stick shift was a 2002 S2000. She drove that with heels on... That's why I married her. . Now she'll kick my a$$ for saying that.
    LOL. One of the best things about S2000's is they are all sticks so there are very few women who drive them. Unlike Miata's, Z's (), and everything else produced for the masses.

Radar Fanatic

South Florida is pretty much flat. If your in the city, its very heavy traffic. From palm beach to miami is 1.5 hours commute on Sunday or late at night. During the weekday it takes me 4 hours. To the OP, I prefer stick but every now and than will take the wife's automatic when I feel the need to eat Tacos while driving.

Good Citizen

I gotta say manual, I love driving a stick, even though I don't currently have one (not an option on my new truck) but I used to have a 6 spd jeep as well as several deer camp/ farm trucks that were straight shift.

As far as being a pain in the a$$ I really don't think it is, once you get used to it it will become second nature, I think it's alot of fun, and gives you something to do.

Lead Foot

The auto vs manual performance gap is basically gone these days on new cars. Manual is fun when your not crawling in traffic. Commuting in traffic is already stressful enough, and dealing with a clutch will just make it worse.

If this car will be a weekend/fun car then manual all the way. If this is the car you will be driving to work everyday then I would consider automatic.

Another thing to consider is if you sprain your left ankle or otherwise damage your left leg in some way, you are screwed if you have a manual car.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

spending weeks-months-years in Beep-N-Creep urban traffic with a Manual isn't the best use of your resources.

Search is your friend

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...t-anymore.html
    Manual_or_Auto
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...automatic.html
    Last edited by OldGoat; 07-26-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Experienced

Always preffered and have owned manuals. Traffic isn't that big of a deal, especially in my truck since 1st gear is so damn low.

Yoda of Radar

x2!
    Manual FTW.

X2 as well.

Manuals are far superior for those who like to drive their car, automatics are for those who like to ride in the car driving them.

Seriously though, I prefer to have as much control as possible over my car when driving... and that means a standard is the ONLY way for me to go. Some people prefer to give up a little control for comfort... just not worth it for me.