After 240,000 Miles, five years, 2 motors and a transmission (even though it's manual), it's time to say good bye to my really fun ride. I was hoping to make 300K like my last two American cars did (Daytona and Neon), but it's not going to happen this time around. Not much ever broke on this car except the motor and transmission. I HAVE FINALLY HAD ENOUGH OF TOYOTA!
Next up is going to be a Chevy Cobalt! It seems to have a reasonable good mounting locations, is cheap, and had the most thoroughly tested motor Chevy has ever made. There are also plenty of after market items available that can get even the normally aspirated 2.2L close to 200 HP. Not bad for an econobox!
My take on this car is that the drive train is reliable, but much of the rest of the car is not as much. Fortunately, parts are widely available and the repair manual is also available for 20 dollars. All of which were false for my Toyota.
Why would I choose a Cobalt?
- Price for a low miles used one is simply impossible to beat.
- Very good power compared to other normally aspirated cars in it's class.
- A very healthy aftermarket, in case I feel like it when the warranty is over.
- Excellent fuel economy (almost at good at a hybrid for the Xfe model)
I am looking mostly for black, but the vast majority of these cars seem to be red and yellow, with fewer that are silver and white. Of course, all of this brings me to a few questions:
- Should I shy away from anything except black in my shopping? I know LI doesn't care about color, but what about my M47s?
- What are your thoughts on the Cobalt? Please share here. This seems to be the econobox that everyone loves to hate in favor of the imports.