Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Default Best conventional motor oil

Who still uses the nonsynthetic stuff? What brand is the best for a high mileage vehicle?

Newcomer

Default Re: Best conventional motor oil

I use Castrol GTX, I would not go to a high mileage oil, had a few friends that tried it in there engines and they started getting a puff a smoke after startup, after I removed the head on one buddys engine I found out that the valve guide seals were dried out and cracked. After asking around some tell me that they add kerosene to the high mileage oil and some people say there is not, but I believe they do because of the fact that the seals were dried out, kerosene dries seals out and the heat will make them brittle.

Speed Demon

how many miles are we talking about?

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Quote Originally Posted by mfcool45 View Post
    175xxx+

I have used Castrol GTX both regular and high mileage before. Also tried pennzoil but everyone tells me its crap. I don't think I'll be using anything high mileage ever again though after hearing that bit about drying out seals. Lucas oil stabiziler was reccomended to me by a mechanic and it seems to really make the oil last longer.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TRun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcool45 View Post
    175xxx+

I have used Castrol GTX both regular and high mileage before. Also tried pennzoil but everyone tells me its crap. I don't think I'll be using anything high mileage ever again though after hearing that bit about drying out seals. Lucas oil stabiziler was reccomended to me by a mechanic and it seems to really make the oil last longer.
    Lucas seems to make a great stabilizer. My uncle is a reputable mechanic in town, and he recommended me to use it in my truck when I first got it. When I bought my truck, it had 115,000 miles on it, and it was going through oil rather quickly. After using the Lucas stuff, the oil issues stopped. I have 170,000 on my truck now, and have had absolutely no problems out of it.

I've always used Castrol as well.

Speed Demon

i abuse my car so i just get whatever is on special. Usually castrol GTX as well no high mileage just regular oil and filter changes regularly to keep things flowing smoothly

edit* i mean circulating smoothly
    oh and on my 4 banger i tried the lucas oil and it didnt work out for me.. really thick stuff but for trucks i hear works wonders
    Last edited by mfcool45; 05-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Newcomer

Also tried pennzoil but everyone tells me its crap. I don't think I'll be using anything high mileage ever again though after hearing that bit about drying out seals. Lucas oil stabiziler was reccomended to me by a mechanic and it seems to really make the oil last longer.
    Your right on Pennzoil being crap, it is a paraffinic oil, parafin is like beeswax, why would you add beeswax to a motor oil I don't know, but Pennzoil does... I was a bit wrong on the high mileage oil, some people say they add kerosene to the oil, the kerosene is supposed to soften the seals, not dry them out.... I have no idea all I know is a few of my friends tried it and their motor ended up burning oil, thats enough right there to keep me from using it whether it has kerosene in it or not. Lucus is good stuff, great product to swear by. Don't know if I can post links but search for bob the oil guy on google, he has some real good info on oils.
    Last edited by Nvidia78; 05-10-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added info

Radar Fanatic

I always use castrol GTX.

Radar Fanatic

I have used Havoline for over 40 years and never had a problem. I change my oil every 4000 to 4500 miles.