Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default buying used car out of state

I am buying a used car from a private seller in MA and will register it in NY. My delima is that I can't register the car in NY without the bill of sale, and it would be sketchy to drive the car from MA to NY without it registered.

Option 1: I could mail the guy the check, and then he could mail me the signed bill of sale so that I could get the car registered before I pick it up. The draw back is that it could be like an extra week before I get my car, and I want to get it asap.

Option 2: I could just slap the plates from the car I am selling and try to drive the new car from MA to NY and just pray that I don't get pulled over. One concern is that there are tolls with licence plate scanners, could they some how figure out something was amiss? And in a worse case, what would happen if I got pulled over, would I be ok with a bill of sale with me?

Option 3: please suggest one!

Mobile Installer

Default Re: buying used car out of state

plate scanners are all over ny on the back
    of the police cars.becarefull

Professional

Last edited by speeddemon; 09-20-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Professional

You can do the following:

1. Use an escrow service for the money. I don't trust ANYONE with money so this is what you do. You send the money to escrow, he sends you the bill. Once you are all set, you inform the escrow service to let go of the money, pick up the car.

2. You can put plates on that car with your car just don't drive like a maniac to get it home. Do it early in the day like 5am saturday morning so that there will be no traffic on the way home. Drive carefully but thats risky w/o insurance, etc.

3. Have it shipped to your house. Its like $200 or something like that. Shop around. Its worth it.

Professional

Well, NYS has a temporary in-transit permit but of course, Massachusetts is the only state that doesn't accept it. lol.

It doesn't look like either state makes this easy. Massachusetts doesn't have any sort of temporary registration and the only thing they will let you do is get a normal registration plate for the vehicle. NYS will let you register the vehicle as you need to, but you have to have all of the proof of ownership documents and you don't have those yet.

It looks like Massachusetts will give you a 7 day grace period where you can use your old plate on the new car in order to get the new car properly registered. Their website says that, in your new car, you should hold onto your purchase/sales agreement, bill of sale for the new vehicle, a copy of the title on your old car (the one the plate is registered to) and the registration and insurance for the vehicle of the plate you're using. If you are stopped, those documents are apparently enough to provide proof of ownership for Massachusetts police.

After crossing back into NYS, if you were stopped, I don't know what would happen... New York does have a temporary in-transit permit, which they clearly identify is not valid in Massachusetts, so NYS might understand the reason that you're using the old plate on your new car.

Once you're situated back at home you can then apply for the temporary in-transit permit (MV-639ITP) which gives you 30 days to transfer the registration to your new vehicle. I think you're fine once you get to that point.

I wouldn't be worried about plate scanners but instead just regular officers looking plates up. If you're sitting at a red light or something like that and an officer just decides to run your plate for whatever reason, it would show that the plate is registered to a different vehicle. Plate scanners at toll booths wouldn't necessarily grab that and even if they did, I doubt any officer would be closely monitoring the scanner.

I've never been to MA or NY so that's just what I managed to figure out from the DMV website of each state...
    Last edited by krypton2; 06-07-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Mobile Installer

Plate scanners do more then warrants believe me I know you will get caught.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by radarrob View Post
    Plate scanners do more then warrants believe me I know you will get caught.
    x2 on plate scanners doing more than warrants... I can't guarantee he's gonna be caught though.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew21 View Post
    You can do the following:

1. Use an escrow service for the money. I don't trust ANYONE with money so this is what you do. You send the money to escrow, he sends you the bill. Once you are all set, you inform the escrow service to let go of the money, pick up the car.

2. You can put plates on that car with your car just don't drive like a maniac to get it home. Do it early in the day like 5am saturday morning so that there will be no traffic on the way home. Drive carefully but thats risky w/o insurance, etc.

3. Have it shipped to your house. Its like $200 or something like that. Shop around. Its worth it.
    1 and 3 sounds like something i would do. if the car is at decent value. why take the risk? a few hundred dollars for assurance, its well worth it.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    Scanners look for hits on warrants so unless the car you are selling has a warrant out on it you should be fine with option 2. The only problem I see with that is for the other guy when he goes to register a car with no plates
    It will be much easier for the other guy. He lives in NY 10mins from my place. I plan on driving it to the DMV for him, taking the plates and registration stickers off, and then getting a ride back.

Good Citizen

krypton2

Thanks a lot for the information. So with a copy of my old title, and a copy of the bill of sale, I am all right to drive with my old plates on the new car in MA. And then when I cross into NYS could I then switch over to the temporary NY transist license? I think I am liking this option.