Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Default Help! What is this awful sound?

hydraulic lifters, bearings, rods???

Newcomer

Default Re: Help! What is this awful sound?

Sounds like a stuck lifter.. I would get some good stuff like seafoam and dump the can in the oil before you do an oil change, start it up and let it idle for 30 min (DO NOT REV) the engine, then change the oil as you normally would. I did that to a friends caravan before and it really helped, also added a quart of Lucas oil treatment at every oil change, only does it a little on a cold startup now but soon goes away. Hope this helps

PS.... do not rev the engine, the seafoam will thin the oil and if you rev it it could damage the main and or rod bearings, seafoam is a powerful cleaner and will work its wonders on idle
    Last edited by Nvidia78; 06-12-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Power User

That is normal for that Chrysler engine. All those engines are junk.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Nvidia78 View Post
    Sounds like a stuck lifter.. I would get some good stuff like seafoam and dump the can in the oil before you do an oil change, start it up and let it idle for 30 min (DO NOT REV) the engine, then change the oil as you normally would. I did that to a friends caravan before and it really helped, also added a quart of Lucas oil treatment at every oil change, only does it a little on a cold startup now but soon goes away. Hope this helps

PS.... do not rev the engine, the seafoam will thin the oil and if you rev it it could damage the main and or rod bearings, seafoam is a powerful cleaner and will work its wonders on idle
    A whole can in the oil? I thought it was 1/3 in the vacum hose, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank.

Newcomer

A whole can in the oil? I thought it was 1/3 in the vacum hose, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank.
    I do that 1/3 all around just as a normal preventive maintenance every 3 months. you can try half a can at first if u want to but on my friends i just did the can and it worked, just don't rev the engine, if half don't work then do a can. Running it thru the gas is not gonna do anything for the lifters, it will keep the fuel system clean tho

Radar Fanatic

I guess I'll try the 1 can in the oil sometime. I wonder how well it will work if the engine is on idle since it sits at around 850rpm. You said don't rev but how about a bit of rev @ 1200rpm max may give it a little more pressure to free things up??

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by TRun View Post
    I guess I'll try the 1 can in the oil sometime. I wonder how well it will work if the engine is on idle since it sits at around 850rpm. You said don't rev but how about a bit of rev @ 1200rpm max may give it a little more pressure to free things up??
    Yeah that will be fine, or u can drive it too, just don't get the rpm too high, need to get the oil hot, only thing is tho you take a chance you know hoping its not really sludged up and a big chuck of sludge breaks loose and plugs an oil gallery or something, that would be bad because then you would starve the mains or something... I took a chance doing it on my friends vehicle but the vehicle only had like 120,000 miles on it, I chose that route first rather than replacing all the hydraulic lifters, its recommended to replace them all at once than just the stuck one