Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Good Driving Sunglasses? Polarized worth it?

Any suggestions for really good driving sunglasses? I'm looking at a pair of Serengeti "drivers polarized" glasses that look good and aren't too spendy. Oakley has some really nice Half Jackets but if you want polarized, it's dang near $180!

Are polarized glasses really something I need and should spend extra for or is it another gimmick?

Any other sunglass recommendations welcome.

Power User

I wish I could drive with sunglasses, driving with sunglasses really cuts down my ability to spot a trooper. Especially when they are running a low profile light bar or worst case no light bar at all.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Good Driving Sunglasses? Polarized worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2600-hotbird
    Any suggestions for really good driving sunglasses? I'm looking at a pair of Serengeti "drivers polarized" glasses that look good and aren't too spendy. Oakley has some really nice Half Jackets but if you want polarized, it's dang near $180!

Are polarized glasses really something I need and should spend extra for or is it another gimmick?

Try them. I like em polarized, as they do significantly cut down on the glare. Its not a gimmick but it may not be worth the extra $$ to some people. Just make sure that they are actually polarized. Some say they are when they are not. You can do an on the spot test by finding a very reflective surface and hold the glasses up to it, then rotate them 90 degrees. You should see the glare reduced.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltage

Try them. I like em polarized, as they do significantly cut down on the glare. Its not a gimmick but it may not be worth the extra $$ to some people. Just make sure that they are actually polarized. Some say they are when they are not. You can do an on the spot test by finding a very reflective surface and hold the glasses up to it, then rotate them 90 degrees. You should see the glare reduced.
    Cant you just take two pairs of sunglasses and hold them 90 degrees apart and there should black out completely because of the polarised light. That is at least how I remember someone telling me, never tried it.

Professional

I just buy the cheap $10-20 pair of polarized ones with UV protection and they work good and they look good on me too. I would not buy a pair of sunglasses that expensive because I would either lose them or break them, I go through sunglasses quite fast sometimes.

Good Citizen

the oakley half jackets are relly nice.. there def worth the money as long as you dont loose them

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltage

Cant you just take two pairs of sunglasses and hold them 90 degrees apart and there should black out completely because of the polarised light. That is at least how I remember someone telling me, never tried it.
    yep, that works too.

Professional

I use serengeti driver and very satisfied with them .

I use another brand name polarised but still prefer serengeti . The reason is that I find the tint too strong , probably not related to the polarisation.

Take a tint not too strong otherwise it is hard to see when the sun is not really gone , I found the serengeti just the right tint.

Good luck .

Polarized sunglasses used to be >$100 everywhere, but now they're available for under $20 at Wal-Mart. Try them and decide for yourself.

Experienced

Polarized sunglasses are definiately worth it. I have a pair in each car just for driving. I have the Oakley A-wire and Oakley Minutes. They both go for around $200 but are definitely worth it. The biggest thing I notice about them is I dont see the reflection of the dash on the windshield with them on. Also, the reflection of the sun off the road is greatly reduced. A good thing about Oakleys is they're designed to keep x/y/z axis lined up whenever the light enters them. That reduces eye strain and headaches.

A pair of cheapo's are not designed like this and can actually cause your vision to get bad over time. Kinda like wearing someone else's prescription glasses.