Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional

Default my fuel tank indicator is inaccurate???

Recently i've noticed that i run out of gas before my fuel tank touches empty.

Yesterday in particular.....i had about 1/8th of a tank left, but the low fuel indicator light did not come on yet. However when i was accelerating, the car just suddenly went off.... i ran out of gas.

How is it possible that the fuel tank indicator on my dash could be inaccurate?

I ended up buying gas from a nearby gas station and filled up a tin into my car to start it, then drive back. And.... i ended up filling 64 litres in my car, and my tank is rated for 64 litres. that shows that my indicator really is malfunctioning.

is it an easy fix?

Radar Fanatic

I never trust my gas needle. I've heard of this happening to to many people. So what I do is, every time I fill my tank, I reset the trip odometer. Then whenever I reach between 320-350 miles, I fill the tank, regardless of what the needle says. My old car would always show full, then suddenly drop to empty.

Yoda of Radar

Sounds like you have a problem with your 'float' in your gas tank.

Yoda of Radar

That's happened a lot with my father's 626...

On my Saabs the gauges are pretty inaccurate also. But at least they are always inaccurate in a pessimistic way

Power User

My gas gauge is not accurate either. Mine indicates I'm out of gas when I still have some.

Professional

IT used to be very accurate until this year.

Is it easy for mazda to fix?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Dilip
    IT used to be very accurate until this year.

Is it easy for mazda to fix?
    Shouldnt be hard, if it is your gas tank float/sending unit... they just replace the assembley: Only problem is they have to drain your gas tank, and I am not sure if on your Mazda they need to take off the tank from the car to get that out.

Go to a Mazda forum... and look for problems such as tankfloats/sending units being incorrect and failing on your model... or take it to the dealer if your under warrenty, and say you think your sending unit and or tank float is having problems. :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Have you done what I said yet Dilip? I really believe that will be the solutions to your problems... at least it was for me.

Yoda of Radar

Does anyone remember those faulty seatbelts from some Japanese supplier that seemed to be on every single ~89-92 Japanese made car produced?

Maybe your car and Dilip's Mazda had the same bad batch of sending units

Professional

airmoore, thanks for ur suggestion.
    Sometime next week i plan on taking it to mazda to get them fixed coz its still under warranty, and they need to fix some other stuff for me too.

i gotta get new spark plugs, new engine & transmission mounts, and also new brake discs. If i complain the car has too much vibrations, theyw ill change it for me for free. They did it last time at 50,000 KM. Now i'm on 102,000 KM and the same problems seem to occur.

How often do people change engine mounts and brake discs usually? I mean the actual brake disc, not the pad.