Thread: Cobra's

Professional

Default Cobra's

To all the guests and new users of this forum that are wondering how the performance is of ANY Cobra radar detector; we can tell you they are not up to par with the competition. If you are looking for a RD that is under 200 dollars you would be much better off with a Bel or Whistler.

A Cobra is a waste of hard earned money and I will gaureentee that you will not be happy with it if you are serious about finding the Radar source as early as possible.

Now I am not trying to diss Cobra...I am just stating the facts. Cobra's are the general public's RD's and most do not investigate before they purchase a RD.

I write this because I do not want anyone to waste their money. I hate seeing someone upset because they could have got a better RD for the same money.

Can we make this a Sticky?? Thanks

Speed Demon

I know what your saying because before I joined this forum I planed on buying a cobra xrs 9500 and thought for how much the unit was I thought id be getting something good.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Radar 4 Ever
    I know what your saying because before I joined this forum I planed on buying a cobra xrs 9500 and thought for how much the unit was I thought id be getting something good.
    \

Exactly. Lets admit it. When you are new to RD's most think a Cobra is a great brand and great name. Can't go wrong right?? I just don't want people to be disapointed

Good Citizen

Exactly. Lets admit it. When you are new to RD's most think a Cobra is a great brand and great name. Can't go wrong right?? I just don't want people to be disapointed
    They do make great CB's!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    They do make great CB's!
    Yea that and two way radios. I mean Cobra isn't a bad name it is just their RD's kinda suck

So many people sadden me by not doing any research before they buy something...they let the numbers do the talking, thinking that spending more is better. I didn't know a single thing about RD's a month ago. For all intents and purposes, I still don't. But after doing a little research and checking things out on this site, I knew enough to stay FAR FAR away from a Cobra. Here's a sad but true story...

I went into Radio Shack a couple weeks ago browsing for my first detector, hoping that the salesman could give me a little more info about the Vector 895, which had caught my eye. Good features and range for a decent price that wouldnt empty my wallet. Not only did I walk out without any more information, but the guy obviously didn't have a clue. I asked him about the BEL V895 sitting there at the bottom of the shelf, UNDER a huge selection of Cobras (yuck), and he couldn't even answer the simplest of questions. The real kicker is that he actually praised the Cobra over the Bel! This is EXACTLY what he told me, word for word, after asking about the V895:

"Well (pointing to a very attractive looking Cobra paperweight), this one is on sale this week. Cobra's are generally considered the best you can buy (WHAAAAT???). The XXXX (I don't remember what model it was, I tuned out after that last part...) has awesome range and features compared to anything else we sell."
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I mean was the guy serious? He had a Bel 895 sitting right there! Granted the 895 isn't the best thing around, but I'm pretty sure that for $199 you probably couldn't do much better. I walked out right then and there. This just goes to show that the underpaid salesmen at some of these places don't have the slighest clue. Do the reasearch yourself, don't get suckered in by a store that wants your money. Buy what YOU want, not what they want to sell you!

BTW, I ended up with a Bel RX65 as my first detector. Couldn't be happier with it 8).