Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default 150$ suggestions?

Okay, I bought a radar detector over the summer, the Cobra 99xx something, it's not right here with me, so I don't remember the exact model, but it was 12band etc.

I'm looking for a much more reliable detector.. Looking to spend about 150. Give or take 20 bucks or so.

So like fire away and give me some suggestions please. I live in the U.S. btw, that probably matters.

Thanks

Banned

Default Re: 150$ suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Okay, I bought a radar detector over the summer, the Cobra 99xx something, it's not right here with me, so I don't remember the exact model, but it was 12band etc.

I'm looking for a much more reliable detector.. Looking to spend about 150. Give or take 20 bucks or so.

So like fire away and give me some suggestions please. I live in the U.S. btw, that probably matters.

Thanks
    I think everyone on this board will say get a Whistler Pro 58 or 73.

http://www.radarbusters.com/products...ler/pro-58.asp

The cobra's are quite honestly the worst detectors ever made. Although the whistler doesn't compete on the top 3 level, it's your best choice for a mid range detector. My friends like it alot.

JTW

Professional

12 bands is a marketing hype by Cobra. There's only 4 bands you need to worry about in the USA: X, K, Ka and Laser.

Get a Whistler Pro-73 from Roy for $145 http://www.radarbusters.com/products...ler/pro-73.asp

I've been using the Pro-73 and love it! It works great on all bands and is a killer on Laser, yes it does false some but mainly the occasional leaky Cobra or door opener, but that's a given with any RD.

EDIT: JTW you beat me to it! Was typing a response as you posted :P

Speed Demon

Default Re: 150$ suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by JTW
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR

Thanks
    I think everyone on this board will say get a Whistler Pro 58 or 73.

http://www.radarbusters.com/products...ler/pro-58.asp

The cobra's are quite honestly the worst detectors ever made. Although the whistler doesn't compete on the top 3 level, it's your best choice for a mid range detector. My friends like it alot.

JTW
    X2

If you can't save another 150 bucks or so for an X50. Then I would agree, get one of the aforementioned detectors.

Banned

It's my understanding the Pro73 is only more expensive than the 58 because it has voice alerts and a nicer display. The detection performance is the same.

He may not care about the voice alerts.

JTW

Professional

True but the display is easier to see in the sun plus having the voice helps cause you don't have to look up to see what band it is.

Also the Pro-73 lets you turn off POP, SWS etc. where as with the Pro-58 it's always on.

But I agree if you don't need those features go with the Pro-58!

Speed Demon

I would recommend either the Whistler PRO series from Roy or the Beltronics Vector 895 from RS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by venexoz
    I would recommend either the Whistler PRO series from Roy or the Beltronics Vector 895 from RS
    I think audi quattro has the bel 895 and it beat my detector in performance this last weekend.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by JTW
    Quote Originally Posted by venexoz
    I think audi quattro has the bel 895 and it beat my detector in performance this last weekend.
    He has the V995

Its not "audi quattro" it's "Audi Quattro". LOL..the bel V995 kicks major butt.