Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Call for Safety Strobe Youtubes

Ok, I am convinced after 2 SS encounters that the technology is total and utter BS -- by the time my Cobra went off, the emergency vehicle was WELL within range of vision, and you've got to be deaf, blind with earplugs to not notice it.

But then again, I have a low-end (XRS-9300 11-band) unit, so if someone with a higher end Cobra can demonstrate to me their safety strobe (MIRT) detector working, please let me know!

Old Timer

One time, when I was borrowing a friend's Cobra, it alerted to safety vehicle approaching when I was in a parking lot. 10 minutes later an ambulance goes by. :shock: Yea, it's that badass

Funny thing is, I don't think our hometown has MIRT

Power User

LOL -- I can't tell you how many times I've heard people coincide passing a store with a K-band transmitter to seeing a cop after turning onto a perpendicular street and driving 0.5 miles.

Radar Fanatic

my old cobra that I ended up returning, alerted me that a train was approaching in the Big Lots parking lot. The closest train crossing is 2 miles away.... I was completely :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: At cobras massively affective range.......

Professional

I Could Never Get that **** 2 Work...

Experienced

Default V/S

I've had the safety/strobe alert go off only a couple of times, and it seemed by mistake. Sometimes I think a reflection off of something can cause the strobe alert. I don't remember it ever alerting to an actual emergency vehicle, though.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: V/S

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow
    I've had the safety/strobe alert go off only a couple of times, and it seemed by mistake. Sometimes I think a reflection off of something can cause the strobe alert. I don't remember it ever alerting to an actual emergency vehicle, though.
    You shouldn't of revived this one, Let it RUST IN PEACE....

Speed Demon

Yeah, I don't understand the whole strobe thing. Wouldn't this be similar in range and character as laser? Seems you'd hear an emergency vehicle well before then.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by bkrell
    Yeah, I don't understand the whole strobe thing. Wouldn't this be similar in range and character as laser? Seems you'd hear an emergency vehicle well before then.
    I'd expect MIRT to have very similar properties to laser (line-of-sight spread) though it would have more spread than laser because it was kinda designed to trip off the MIRT receivers on the signals.

The problems I see are:

(1) You'll get the transmission when the emergency vehicle is in sight. And if it had MIRT activated, it most likely has full sirens and strobes too. In this case you'll hear it WAY before you see it. And since SA doesn't give you any directional notification, it provides no additional info that the sirens wouldn't give you.

(2) MIRT is probably aimed really high, towards traffic lights. I'm not sure if your detector can EVER be situated in a good position to get MIRT.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by bkrell
    Seems you'd hear an emergency vehicle well before then.
    That depends. Some of the newer cars and SUVs are DEAD QUIET with the windows rolled up. Check that new Lincoln commercial with the tree falling and inside the SUV there is no sound at all. And guys with loud exhausts or driving next to a motorcyle with loud pipes you could easily not hear an emergency vehicle. And lets not forget about nitwits with the thumping bass speakers. Now when they come out with a device that fries the sound systems in THOSE cars, I'll be the first in line to buy one

Dep