Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Humor: XRS9330 vs Multanova: 2 secs warning

YouTube - Cobra XRS 9330 vs Multanova Ka-band 34.3GHz

I thought this was quite entertaining.... Their previous runs with the top 5 units yielded more than 25s from each unit, and even the Whistler Pro-78 got a good 10-20s on it.

Newcomer

hahaha yeah i tested one of these against a multanova also - can confirm that it is pretty bad!!!

Poor performing detector but has one cool feature - it doesn't alert to k band (maybe other bands too?) when engine revs are below a certain threshold, so when you pull up to your local petrol station, or when u switch your car back on after filling up - all you hear is silence.

A good feature on a pathetic radar detector (also falses on Ka Band - All the time!!!)

Professional

I just watched that video like two hours ago. Weird.

Radar Fanatic

that is one POS detector.

Radar Fanatic

Where can I get one?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    Where can I get one?
    What? the multanova????

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by boki007
    hahaha yeah i tested one of these against a multanova also - can confirm that it is pretty bad!!!

Poor performing detector but has one cool feature - it doesn't alert to k band (maybe other bands too?) when engine revs are below a certain threshold, so when you pull up to your local petrol station, or when u switch your car back on after filling up - all you hear is silence.

A good feature on a pathetic radar detector (also falses on Ka Band - All the time!!!)
    Yeah, I had a XRS 9700, I bought in a hurry and without research. I know everybody make fun of the "capra" and al kind of jokes (this sub-forum should be called "the let's bash Cobras forum") lol, but anyway, the little thing had some cool features like the one commented above, you can actually program the unit to whatever RPM's you want it to mute itself. It does alert you, the difference is you won't hear the audible alert, but it always displays all bands, let's say under 1500 rpms. The other cool feature was the the "auto turn off", the RD will turn off after 20 minutes the engine has been turned off, (really cool on cars with power to the lighter plug all the time) then it had the compass, the emergency vehicle detection, train detection, VG2, and the voice alert.

I know, all the falses on K and Ka were annoying, but I "learned" to handle them, actually in almost two years, it saved my ass several times. So I think Cobras aren't that bad for the price, remember that "you get what you pay" and any Cobra is better that not radar at all.
    I just got a new X50 two days ago, I'm eager to see if the difference is that dramatic as they say, so far the only thing that I miss form the cobra is her "voice" lol

Power User

Cobras aren't RMR's -- they actually DO detect radar and laser, but they do so at a much worse level than detectors in their price range. In addition, their performance can be spotty in the real world. Sometimes they provide fantastic warning, other times, the cop can be right on top of me running C/O before it makes a single peep.

If you are looking in the <$100 market, fine, Cobras are good in their price range, but that price range is all crappy stuff anyway. If you are looking in the $100+ range, honestly any Whistler/Bel in the range will beat Cobra. Heck get a warranty-voided XTR-690 from an unauthorized dealer for $110. That'll still be better than any CS Cobra will give you

EDIT: Your Cobra might serve you well because you live in an area with easy cops (i.e. C/O radar). I do too. In this area you have to be deaf-mute with your detector pointing towards the SKY to land a ticket from the city or county cops that run C/O moving Ka. However, I just drove through Ohio, and was blasted with IO on X, K, and Ka. Most of the times a little blip of radar was all the hint I got before after 2 miles rounding a corner and getting blasted full-strength. In an area that heavily uses IO, you can't rely on a detector that makes momentary falses like that -- it will land you in trouble.

Power User

Curious why it continued to alert after the fact... if it could not detect before hand why was it alerting after the fact for such a distance... was it rear facing multanova shooting the rear of the car???

Speed Demon

Cobras probably in their best operation against X and K (Provided they're run C/O), but Ka band is quite nil in detection probably so they can filter each other out...

Even with that being said, they're minimal protection, and to be reguarded as such.