Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so bad?

Newcomer

Default Why so bad?

Hey, just by quickly looking, Cobra has been around since the 80's or 90's... In my opinion, they "look" the best. With the OLED screen, my Cobra 9950 looks sweet. But with so much history, why is their reputation so bad? Why don't the radar detectors perform good? Just curious =).

Good Citizen

Default Re: Why so bad?

Last edited by lammy08; 05-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Newcomer

LMAO I like the 12 bands that Cobra detects! So true though lol. Always falses around them.

In particular, Cobra holds just one radar detector electronics design patent whereas their competitors hold over five dozen patents in RD electronics design. Many of these patents deal with radar detector sensitivity and filtering methods, and this is what gives competing products significantly better performance. Cobra RDs are known for being nearly deaf when it comes to detecting 35.5 Ka radar guns. 35.5 Ka radar is the second most commonly encountered radar frequency after the most common 34.7 radar frequency.

Newcomer

Yeah, my Cobra detects K band... And always with no more than 3 seconds before the cop is right infront of me. Thinkin of selling mine $200 solid... and telling them I havent even used it... so when they get caught they dont ***** at me for selling them a crappy RD lol

Quote Originally Posted by curt View Post
    Yeah, my Cobra detects K band... And always with no more than 3 seconds before the cop is right infront of me. Thinkin of selling mine $200 solid... and telling them I havent even used it... so when they get caught they dont ***** at me for selling them a crappy RD lol
    Sell it on fleebay. Make up some story that your wife got pulled over because she ignored its alert, and the got a ticket rather than a warning simply because the cop saw the radar detector. Then say that the wife told you to sell the Cobra and here it is for some lucky bidder who knows what a radar detector is and how to use one.

Speed Demon

hahahaha

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Sell it on fleebay. Make up some story that your wife got pulled over because she ignored its alert, and the got a ticket rather than a warning simply because the cop saw the radar detector. Then say that the wife told you to sell the Cobra and here it is for some lucky bidder who knows what a radar detector is and how to use one.

Oh man that would be great. I sold my Cobra on fleebay. I just said it worked excellent and that I was selling it because I did not find a need for a RD anymore. Buyer left me feedback that it was an awesome detector...sorry for guaranteeing you many speeding tickets, buyer

Speedtrap Crasher

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Oh man that would be great. I sold my Cobra on fleebay. I just said it worked excellent and that I was selling it because I did not find a need for a RD anymore. Buyer left me feedback that it was an awesome detector...sorry for guaranteeing you many speeding tickets, buyer
    depends on how he uses it. I've driven Cobra equipped cars and the performance is useable. Especially where Constant On radar is common.
    I would not be running 20 over the PSL though.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Speed Demon

Exactly. If you don't run into C/O traps, the newer ones are fine. I had no prob letting my wife use my old one until I got an 8500 on a lark.