Thread: Cobra 9210

Default Cobra 9210

Hi, I recently purchased my first detector, the 9210. I bought it because it was cheap and I know its not the best, but I just have kind of a general question. When it says VG2 Alert, does it just alert you or is it invisible to a VG2 RDD?? Also, I assume the Spectre and MD3 RDD's will detect the 9210. Thanks for any feedback.

One more thing.....if anyone in VA knows anything about the equipment used by police there, it would be greatly appreciated. I know you probably can't post it on here, send to my email ocdrummerguy@hotmail.com. Thanks again.

Lead Foot

Commonly VG2 alert means your LO is shut down for ~15 secs. During that time, you can only detect laser. Cobra may differ. Check the manual.

Professional

I owned that piece of c***. I somehow suckered a fellow classmate to buy it. Let me put it this way. If you were hanging from a cliff ,which would you trust with your life a string or a clinmbing rope that is guarentied to hold many time your weight. Dont waste your money on that unit if budget is a concern get a cobra 9700 aka(XRS 777 Walmarts Brand) or a whistler pro 58 or 73. Since your a forum member PM Radar Roy and tell him which unit you are intrested in and HE WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER DEAL THAN THE LISTED PRICE. Either way his normal prices are not high and the personal customer service is OUTSTANDING.

Radar Fanatic

I owned one of these for a while, I ended up returning it because it wasn't giving me enough warning to the instant-on radar used in my area, but in Virginia, it should be mostly constant-on, so if you're just a 5-10MPH over type, it might do just fine for you.

From the Cobra 9210 manual:

"The ESD-9210 is undetectable by police
    VG-2 detection devices, and will alert you
    when such a device is in use near your
    vehicle. During the alert, the unit continues
    to detect other signals. You can choose
    whether or not you want your unit to
    sound VG-2 alerts.
    The factory setting is VG-2 Audio On."

The VG2 alert on cobra products tend to false a lot, so I would suggest turning it off. Even with the alert off, it will still be invisible to VG2. To disable the VG2 alerts, hold down the dim button for 2 seconds.

Be sure to keep the radar hidden from view in some way.

Professional

Welcome to the forum ocdrummerguy!!
    What a way to welcome you to the forum by telling you the detector you bought is junk. hhahahahahaa
    Any way you could return it where you bought it?

If not I guess try to sell it on ebay and take the money and get your self a better unit.
    Once again welcome to the forum!!

Thanks for your feedback guys. I actually bought the detector on ebay, so I may just turn around and resell it. I don't have alot of feedback on how these things work, since where I live doesn't particularly like them. I guess its just one of those things you have to bite the bullet on and spend more money to do it properly. Anyways thanks again!

.......Speaking of which, what is your opinion of the PNI Silver Bullet?? I believe it defeated the Spectre III??

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ocdrummerguy
    .......Speaking of which, what is your opinion of the PNI Silver Bullet?? I believe it defeated the Spectre III??
    PNIs are not that good. Response time to Ka radar is quite slow. Also, the spectre III test at SML (I assume this is the one you're talking about) was invalid. The extreme heat during the test caused the Spectre III to malfunction. Supposedly VA doesn't have Spectre's, so it shouldn't matter much for now.

Since you don't have the option to just return the detector, run with it for a while before you sell it. It may well do what you need.