Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Re: Cobra can detect latest Spectre??

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    To clear this up, some Cobra models are advertised as being capable of detecting the Spectre. If you read the fine print, you will note that these Cobra models are only capable of detecting the original Spectre I model. Since then the Spectre has been extensively redesigned, and all later Spectre models can not be detected by any Cobra RD. This is a blatant case of misleading advertising on Cobra's behalf.
    MEM-TEK

for the 9960 model it says it's able to detect Spectre 1 and Spectre IV+
    I've never seen them advertise the IV+ version before, this is the test I would like to see.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    MEM-TEK

I've never seen them advertise the IV+ version before, this is the test I would like to see.
    They also advertise that that unit detects 15 bands...

Do you see what I'm saying? Even IF the unit detects ANY version Spectre, I doubt it works very well.

Their marketing is totally exaggerated.

MEM-TEK

I'd love to see a test of that as well. More importantly, I would almost be willing to bet that the Spectre IV or IV+ will detect the 9960 before the 9960 detects the Spectre.

Good Citizen

Let me know which ones you want tested....

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Just1n View Post
    I'm so surprised. I thought Cobra's marketing department was top notch.
    Actually....Cobra's marketing dept. IS top notch. Think of the things they are able to do:

1. Brow-beat the development dept. into cheaply making plastic bricks that do function...kinda.
    2. Brow-beat the design dept. into making the plastic bricks look like advanced technology.
    3. Re-arrange wording so that they are able to tell you that they do, indeed, offer THE BEST RADAR DETECTOR OUT THERE (for 100% pre-ticket warning reliability) without lying.
    4. Arrange "partnerships" with major retailers to offload their plastic brick to thousands of future recipients of shinie new traffic tickets.
    5. Lastly, most importantly, maintain their manufacturing name (Cobra) as a producer of viable, quality equipment that is dollar friendly and mission-receptive.

In all honesty, the Cobra marketing dept. is top notch. If someone forced me at gunpoint to say something nice about Cobra, I could honestly say "They've got a GREAT marketing dept."

rc

Power User

I would love for them to build a world class RD. They build good CB radios.

I guess they are world class in sales...

Power User

Review Cobra XRS 9955 Radar Detector

Quote Originally Posted by Radar Roy's Review

Next the Spectre testing, I have both the Spectre I and the Spectre III. The only reason I even considered doing this test was to validate Cobra’s claim of complete undetectablilty to the Spectre I and its ability to alert to the Spectre I through IV.
    Well I’m disappointed to report that both my [replacer_a] sniffed out the XRS9955 and that the Cobra never chirped an alert.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Review Cobra XRS 9955 Radar Detector

Quote Originally Posted by Radar Roy's Review

Next the Spectre testing, I have both the Spectre I and the Spectre III. The only reason I even considered doing this test was to validate Cobra’s claim of complete undetectablilty to the Spectre I and its ability to alert to the Spectre I through IV.
    Well I’m disappointed to report that both my [replacer_a] sniffed out the XRS9955 and that the Cobra never chirped an alert.
    Cobra pretty much got raped by the Spectre. What scares me is to think of all the truckers that could buy these for "stealthness", drive through states where they are illegal and potentially get caught/detected.

Truck drivers who get pulled over toss their RDs out the right window while the officer is walking up along the left side of the rig.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    MEM-TEK

I'd love to see a test of that as well. More importantly, I would almost be willing to bet that the Spectre IV or IV+ will detect the 9960 before the 9960 detects the Spectre.
    I would like to see that test too. I wonder how they alert to Spectre?

Spectre is used heavily here and a Spectre detector would be great.