Lead Foot

Default Cobra ESD9850 Radar/Laser detector

How does this detector rate now? I know it's not brand new. Was it one of Cobra's top rated detectors in its time?

Experienced

Default Re: Cobra ESD9850 Radar/Laser detector

Quote Originally Posted by LS2
    How does this detector rate now? I know it's not brand new. Was it one of Cobra's top rated detectors in its time?
    Yes it was, 9870 was the best in that series.
    98xx series was not bad but I´ve seen better ;c)

In Ka (most threat here) in good conditions it worked fine but curves and hills were poison to it.

No falsing but cellular shouldn't be next to it.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by D.E.T

In Ka (most threat here) in good conditions it worked fine but curves and hills were poison to it.

The one I have is the ESD-9850 not the 9870 and I don't know if there is much difference between these two Cobra units perhaps the 9850 is the second detector down in the Cobra series .
    I like the Cobra it doesn't have POP but has alot of other features n bell's n whistles. I also prefer the shape of the Cobra over the Valentine One and the fact you get more features with just about every other detector out there except the Valentine One. i.e. SWS, and the other safety system plus compass. I know these are just little perks but for the price of that Valentine One you don't get any of these luxeries or options of other detectors out there other than those "Arrows" and number of threats.
    As you can see I'm trying to justify a Valentine One purchase or save 400 and get a new Pro-97 Scanner instead which is currently on sale now at Radio Shack for $149.95.

Banned

OK well I have a 9300 and it is a piece of crap. It falses Ka all the time. now granted your detector is a higher model, BUT cobra vs V1 NO ABOSOLUTLY NO competition!! V1 will win every time, especially vs instant on K Ka band. I was at Outruns house to day and we were comparing my faulty cobra and the V1 you can not compare the 2. We were shooting his baseball K band gun at the both detectors and were trying to do it as fast as possible and 9/10 times we did it extreamly fast the V1 picked it up. you just cant get any better than the V1 it is the # 1 in radar detectors. About the 400 dollar price tag, yes it is very expensive and it can be very annoying because of the false you get from the front and back radar detectors in the V1 BUT its worth it when It saves you over and over and over again. and the V1 has lots of goodys like a delay when you pick up K or Ka you can turn off X you obviously dont know the V1 very well. do your reaserch it pays off. NOW about your cobra that cost you 150 dollars. Let me give you some detectors that are around that range that are 10 times better that any cobra!! Whistler - Pro 58 its a 100 dollars just under and It has POP and on average 300' more ft of detection on all bands then Cobra's 9700 the top model that cost 200.00 FOR 200 dollars. OR for about 150 a little less you can get the whistler - pro 73 it has lots of goodies and still 10 times better than any Cobra also cheaper the the top model. BUT If you wanted the something around 200, which is the price of the 9700, get the you can get the Vetor 985 995 or the rx 55, there is so much more stuff that is 10 times better than Cobra I had to learn that the hard way. About the SWS and strobe alert they cause you more falses than anything else cause the people who started the SWS idea are now out of business so you are paying for something that is worthless.

I am not trying to rag on you but for 150 bucks i would get the Whistler pro 73
    I am never buying anything Cobra ever again!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by D.E.T

The one I have is the ESD-9850 not the 9870 and I don't know if there is much difference between these two Cobra units perhaps the 9850 is the second detector down in the Cobra series .
    I like the Cobra it doesn't have POP but has alot of other features n bell's n whistles. I also prefer the shape of the Cobra over the Valentine One and the fact you get more features with just about every other detector out there except the Valentine One. i.e. SWS, and the other safety system plus compass. I know these are just little perks but for the price of that Valentine One you don't get any of these luxeries or options of other detectors out there other than those "Arrows" and number of threats.
    As you can see I'm trying to justify a Valentine One purchase or save 400 and get a new Pro-97 Scanner instead which is currently on sale now at Radio Shack for $149.95.

The reason some of the 'bells and whistles' you are talking about aren't on the V1 is because they are essentially useless junk, and really arent a major concern to many people looking to buy a HQ detector such as the V1. They more-a-less give Cobra the ability to advertise to unknowing victoms that it "detects 457 bands currently in use right now" and that kinda stuff. I would have to say that with options *relevant* to actual performance n their products the V1 blows Cobra out of the water (with customization and detection)...not to mention its upgradable -id assume the Cobra isnt-

Personally I wouldn't buy the V1 for $400 if you also want a scanner ($150). I would buy an X50 for $300, and then the scanner for $150, that way you get one of the top of the line detectors in the world, and your scanner for only 50bucks more then the V1 alone.

(Please this is not a rip on Cobra...so no one take it as one, their advirtising works, and thats good for them.) Performance wise (for the price range) I would much rather have a Whistler/Bel unit though.

Speed Demon

I was thinking about either buying a Whistelr Pro 58 or Whistler Whistler DE-1773. Do any of you have them and is the POP good enough on them?

Banned

I dont have a whistler but the testing has shown the 58 does have pop and is a GOOD bang for buck go to the whistler forum to read up on it!

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Radar 4 Ever
    I was thinking about either buying a Whistelr Pro 58 or Whistler Whistler DE-1773. Do any of you have them and is the POP good enough on them?
    I also have a Whistler 1793 SE and it has POP. It picks up more K/KA band signals than the Cobra 9850.