Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default What's the best Cobra RD?

What would you guys say the best Cobra RD is? I was looking into getting a Cobra XRS 9600 but I heard that the POP is not even worth it cuz it picks it up when you are really close to the cops. What Cobra RD would you recommend me getting?

Professional

None of them. If you can afford the XRS 9700, you can afford to save another $75 and get a Bel V995. If you don't want to pay any more than you have set aside right now, get a Whistler Pro-73.

If you absolutely must buy a Crapra, I own an XRS 9300 that my girlfriend currently has in her car. It has ok range on X, usually does ok on K, but Ka is borderline unusable. The bleepin' thing always says there's a 1-strength Ka hit...I honestly think it's detecting itself. It thinks, therefore it is.

As an aside, I went out a week ago and did an amateur test by cruising past a "Your Speed Is" sign near my parents' house, using each of my four detectors. The X50 picked up the K-band source almost a mile away, and this was on a curvy road sparsely populated with other cars. The Whistler 1730 picked it up about a third of a mile away. The Radio Shack detector read it from about 1000 feet.

And the XRS 9300? When I made my pass with the Crapra, it read the sign at under one-tenth of a mile. Granted, the sign was around a curve and at the bottom of a big hill, but that didn't stop the other detectors, even the Radio Shack. I tried it again because I couldn't believe it--the Cobra had always given decent range on K, if not great, but once again, under a tenth of a mile out by my odometer's count when it alerted to the speed sign.

Moral of the story: avoid Crapras if at all possible. The Whistler 1730 costs $50 at the absolute maximum (I got mine for about $25 brand new), and it had much, much better range.

Advanced Member

In albany you need a detector with good KA range.....you should get the BEL V995

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Banned

DONT BUY COBRA!!!
    I also have the Cobra XRS 9300 and I complained to cobra about the constant falsing of Ka I have to send it in for a new one. and I hear stories all the time about that model always falsing, I honestly believe that Cobras all of the are defective. they suck at just about everything, for about 100 bucks you can go get the whistler pro 58 or for 150 bucks you can get the Whistler Pro 73 BOTH of these models did better in EVERY TESTING, buy the GOL, than the top model Cobra!!!
    Check it out for yourself
    GOL :
    http://www.kc8unj.com/radar/guysofli...artesting.html
    Rdar Roy :
    www.radarbusters.com/support/product-tests/2.asp
    There is more testing to prove this Go find it do your own research, You will become smater!!

Radar Fanatic

I had a 9870 that falsed to itself like that.

If you must buy a Cobra, the 9700 is the best so far as I know, it runs $130ish from Roy.

A friend had a 9700, and he seemed pretty happy with it until it was accidentally crushed.

Old Timer

I agree with bcorby. Spend a little more to get a LOT more in preformance. the 9700 (I owned one before the 8500) would give me maybe 6 seconds warning on K band before I would see the cop.

If you are on a serous budget, I would recommend the whistler 58. With the GOL tests, it outpreformed the 9700 but a couple hundreed feet at a throw.

Radar Fanatic

Not a cobra pls., I have owned two and.... they suck.

Usually the theory behind radars is you get what you pay for. But with the amount of $$$ your going to use to get a top of the line cobra, get another radar that the members here stated because I am pretty sure they will work better.

I really feel annoyed/pitiful to drivers using a cobra and passing me in the highway like they are invisible

Good Citizen

I agree never buy a cobra! Waste of money.

Good Citizen

makes you wonder why they are still in buisness... also you would think that with all the complaints they would do somthing about it.

Radar Fanatic

cobra has got to be the #1 selling detector! i see so much of them... obviously not much on this forum