Default Thoughts on Cobra 9955/9960G

Anyone have one of these? They're the same detector just the 9960 has gps ability. I was looking at getting one when i was looking at detectors but went with the 8500x50.. Anyone have one that would like to share their thoughts on performance etc.?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Thoughts on Cobra 9955/9960G

Well I had the Cobra XRS-9330 a long time ago and it gave me that sense of "hey I'm protected..." and that's about it. All cobras suck ass at detection hands down. Check out the Guys Of Lidar website and see Radar Detector reviews. They are also the leakiest detectors and cause the higher end detectors to false. Don't go with a cobra. Ever.

Professional

The XRS 9955/9960G performed well for me. There are detectors with better range within it's price range. If you buy one, pay no more than 200 dollars. If you are patient you will find them on sale for $199. It does come with a lifetime subscription to their aura database which is pretty accurate.

The 8500 x50 was a better choice when it comes to detecting radar. You didn't make the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Divewjason View Post
    The XRS 9955/9960G performed well for me. There are detectors with better range within it's price range. If you buy one, pay no more than 200 dollars. If you are patient you will find them on sale for $199. It does come with a lifetime subscription to their aura database which is pretty accurate.

The 8500 x50 was a better choice when it comes to detecting radar. You didn't make the wrong choice.
    i found a 9960g on amazon bnib for 178 w/ free shipping.. still didnt buy it though.

Street Lawyer

Noobs leading the noobs I swear -- DO NOT BUY COBRA, EVER.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    I gave it a fair shake and it wasn't too bad. The Veil Guy and Radar Roy both agree with me. Are they noobs too?

I still say that there are better detectors out for a similar price. An 8500 refurb or a whistler pro 78SE could easily be complimented with a camera detector from Cheetah or Whistler's RLC detector.

Street Lawyer

I gave it a fair shake and it wasn't too bad. The Veil Guy and Radar Roy both agree with me. Are they noobs too?

I still say that there are better detectors out for a similar price. An 8500 refurb or a whistler pro 78SE could easily be complimented with a camera detector from Cheetah or Whistler's RLC detector.
    Let's just say I wouldn't call them to the witness stand as an expert witness. They do after all have a financial interest in the products they sell.

Professional

Let's just say I wouldn't call them to the witness stand as an expert witness. They do after all have a financial interest in the products they sell.
    Good point. However, I have driven with the 9960G and it did pretty well as far as detecting radar goes.(But I haven't run it with the STI-R though, which I will be next week.) If I run it with the STI-R and find the sacrifice in performance to be unacceptable I assure you that i will be changing my review on the detector.

Radar Fanatic

Changing your review based on a comparison to an STi-R is not giving the cobra a fair shake. The STi-R is at the top of the heap performance wise. I enjoyed your review on the 9960G. I'm glad cobra is improving their rd platforms. Maybe it will get the big boys to get off their arses and step up PERFORMANCE wise.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by KaPro View Post
    Changing your review based on a comparison to an STi-R is not giving the cobra a fair shake. The STi-R is at the top of the heap performance wise. I enjoyed your review on the 9960G. I'm glad cobra is improving their rd platforms. Maybe it will get the big boys to get off their arses and step up PERFORMANCE wise.
    It won't be a comparison, I will be checking to see if the Cobra is consistently missing radar, like I/O or off axis C/O. From what I've seen, the Cobra did do well against instant on and I was pleasantly surprised with the Cobra. Trust me, I would like to see the Cobra do well, now that I'll have a "second opinion" I think it will be very interesting. Expect to see some videos.

Thanks for your support.