Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XRS9600

Speed Demon

Default XRS9600

Is this unit any decent with it's POP?

Radar Fanatic

The cobra's POP is pretty worthless. I drove around with a 9700, (nearly identical) for about a half hour and had to turn it off because if falsed on EVERYTHING. Then again just about every detector that distinguishes between POP and standard radar does the same thing. As for picking up the real thing, I wouldn't expect a whole lot. But here's the thing: will you run into pop? Only a few places are known to use it.

**EDIT**
    Just realized that you are from Albany. Yes, you may well run into pop used by NYSP.

Radar Fanatic

The Cobra’s POP mode performance was dismal. At 1500 feet it had a 20 percent success rate in detecting the BEE III. At 4500 feet it scored 30 percent, too low to be of value unless you’re having a sensationally lucky day.
    http://radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=10030

Speed Demon

Do you think a Whistler 1773 is alot better?

Radar Fanatic

Yes

Speed Demon

I'm a little confused....I've read in a few posts that the XRS9300 outperformed the XRS9700 with RADAR detection. Is this true?

Radar Fanatic

dude honestly, im not trying to be mean about this at all, but just save up and get one of the top 3. i was just like you when i was 16, first i got the cobra 6060, then the cobra 9200, then the cobra xrs9300. and when i look back on it, i couldve saved all that money and gotten an 8500 long ago. the only thing cobras are good for is laser and setting off other detectors. if youve never had one of the top 3 you just wont understand until you do. i used to think cobras were pretty good with radar. but after i got my first 2+ mile alert from my 8500, my mind changed quickly. good luck.

Speed Demon

Oh yeah I know that nothing compares to the top 3. I'm saving up for a Blue X50. I'm using my Whistler 1773 right now untill I get it. I was looking into a cheap cobra for my brother because he will be getting his licens soon.

Radar Fanatic

ahhhh i see. why not get him a 1730 or somthing? the less cobras we have on the road the better .

Old Timer

I had the 9600. 7 second warning K bands (longest ever) POP went off all the time...

Other thenfeatures, cobras are junk