Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XRS-9700 radar alert explanation.9700 any good?

Hello all.

I live in greece and i had a very old Cobra trapshooter which i rarely used many years ago.It never reported any radars at all all those years...hehe...Made in Japan...that was some great built quality back then.

I got a ticket a few weeks back doing 190km/s and i slew down as i saw the policeman running on foot into my lane to make me stop...ouch...hopefully i got away with 128km and 33 eyro fine...the guys were great....3 points in my licence too.At least i kept my car...

Anyways.

I bought the XRS 9700 as a mate of mine brought it from the US...he got 2 of them so i decided to buy one without doing any reasearch i had thoughts that Cobras aint the top of the line detectors...you know...value for money etc.

So i bought it...set up the compass and used it so far once in my trip to athens(2 hour trip)

The radar detected Ka radars on my way there.I saw a few police vehicles but i got no detection of radars.I guess they werent operating at the time?

So my questions are.
    What are pop radars....what ar Ka radars, VG2 blah blah blah.

All the codes i am getting...which radar is which.

For example the Gatso radars...are they detected by the Cobra?Cos we got such radars here in Greece.And what about the portable radars operated by policeman(hand)...are these the pop radars?What is the range this radar can detect?How far away will it detect these radars?

Thats it really...i read the manual but no information on the description of the alerts(what radar is represented by each alert)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh i bought it for 200 dolars if i remember correctly

Yoda of Radar

One of our members here posted this some time ago:

Quote Originally Posted by pipinos1976
    I am from Greece. There we have the following systems:

1. Electronic signs tha inform you how fast you go (X band)

2. Gatso and mini Gatso photographic cameras (K, Ka and Ku band)

3. Gatso cameras with piezoelectric lanes (the started this year to put on all highways - the only way to avoid this is by GPS systems)

4. Radar guns (K or Ka band - I don't know for sure)

5. Portable radars (K or Ka band - got 1 tichet from 500m for speeding + 44Km/h)

6. Laser guns

As you see the only way to avoid tickets, especially at night is by a radar detector. The laser guns are not too many, they are difficult to use and the other drivers warn you with the headlights about such things.
    The problems are during the night, especially in roads you don't know. They put a mini Gatso and they come to collect it after a couple of hours.
    The detector is to avoid such tichets and some times the protable radars (rare thing nowadeys, they prefer the cameras) or even the lasers (i hide behind other cars so I believe I can detect them if no warning is possible from the other drivers).
    As for the detector detector thing, in Greece they only have VG2, as the use of radar detectors is limited to very few people as it's illegal to use it, but not to posses it. I never heard about spectre I,II,III and such things, not even one busted for using radar detector.
    On the 9700 you don't have Ku band on it. It's also not a very powerful radardetector. Probably one of the better ones to have is a Target/Beltronics 550 Euro, a Beltronics RX65 (USA market), a Beltronics 966 or 975 Remote model or even the good old Valentine One. Much more expensive units though!

Old Timer

Not going to lie... I had a 9600 which is the same thing as the 9700 only w/o voice.

POP - Worthless
    X band - Never prewarning
    K band - 7 second (longest) warning
    KA band - always falsed, never a real threat encountered

I got mine offline for 100 bucks, and it was the worst 100 bucks I had ever spent. I went over to the x50 and was in aww.

Cobra has the features (smart power, intellimute), but the range is awful...

I see.

But could someone explain me what is the Ka radar for example etc as i mention in my original post?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by brwmogazos
    I see.

But could someone explain me what is the Ka radar for example etc as i mention in my original post?
    Here you go:

http://radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=3103&start=0

excellent guys.

so it seems that if i am speeding wayyyyy higher than the limit it may also be impossible for the radar to warn me so that i can slow down on time by looking into the 1/2 mile ka band detection from that little post i read.

I mean when i was given that ticket for doing 120miles on that 1-1/2 mile straight even with the detector on, i may have never had the time to slow down right?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by brwmogazos
    excellent guys.

so it seems that if i am speeding wayyyyy higher than the limit it may also be impossible for the radar to warn me so that i can slow down on time by looking into the 1/2 mile ka band detection from that little post i read.

I mean when i was given that ticket for doing 120miles on that 1-1/2 mile straight even with the detector on, i may have never had the time to slow down right?
    Correct, they dont always (but often do) give you enough time to avoid a ticket, depends on the method they choose to clock you with. Your best bet is to stay close to the limit, so you can fall in line as quickly as possible. Try to have a rabbit too, so they can pull the cops out and you can slow down in time, using them to detect the police. At 120 mph, no radar detector is going to save you, you would need a radar jammer, but its a felony, so dont bother.

IN the USA, and nobody seems to care anyway.[/quote]

Ya I wonder if a leo has noticed a RMR jammer in someone's car
    and took them to jail!

OK today, in fact a few minutes ago i took the car for a ride...i live in a small city here in greece so i took a junction that doestn go through the city.Police had a block in the other side of the road i was driving.

They had a tripod and a small camera from what i could see...a grey one...the one i was cought doing 190km/s was like a hand gun blue one.

Anyways....they had stopped 2 cars.in the lane i was driving about 50 meters away was a small exit.I stopped there, turned my car arround and i was pointing with my windshield their radar with a 30 degree angle for example.turned the 9700 On....nothing....no signal nothing at all.I turned the engine on (didnt know what to do) and again nothing...i left and came back the same way round and i parked just a few meters closer to the radar but still on the opposite lane they had their radar scanning.

I waited for 10 minutes there and one of the policemen went over to the radar and stayed there(like he was operating it)...nothing no signals at all.He stopped a merc that was speeding.

I have the pop radar ON enabled and everything else is enabled.I double checked...

I mean WTF?that radar was surely working wasnt it?Why didnt my 9700 pick it up?I think this cobra is a waste of money or i am a complete fool!
    Or it would have picked it up,only if the radar was pointing at me?

After those 10 mins police moved away so went back home.
    As i said in my first trip to Athens it picked up some Ka alerts.
    Tomorrow morning i am going back to Athens again so i will be using it...

Is there something i am missing or Cobras aint that efficient?