Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default I don't understand....

IMG_1332.jpg
    This is in a Hummer... Its right behind the wiper and constant on. He has room to go a little lower but the wiper is still interfering some because they are so big. Its hard to tell in the pic

Can anyone explain why Cobra owners put their RD's as lower as possible behind the windshield? Or aiming sky high?

Why is it with Cobra owners? Is it just because they must be uneducated about RD's in the first place to buy a Cobra so they have no idea where to mount them? Does the manual say anything about where to mount the detector?

This seems to be some unexplainable phenomenon to me..lol

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: I don't understand....

I've been looking at detectors for the past few years before I actually got one and the most common one I saw was Cobra. They're everywhere!! In many electronic stores, Cobras outnumber the better brands by far. At least in the stores I've looked at. I remember thinking I'll put aside $50 bucks and get the 9 band model... Maybe I'll spend an extra $30 and get the 12 band one.

The reason I think it's most commonly seen with cobras is because they're so popular. And the people who buy them are not enthusiasts, at least not yet. As far as the directions are concerned, you'll have to ask a cobra user.

I was watching a 2009 Gumball 3000 rally today and I saw a $200,000 car with a cobra on the dash, near the wipers. I paused it and did a double take.

To answer your question, I think it's ignorance.

Although, the other day, I saw a QX56 with a V1 mounted in the bottom corner of the windshield angled outward. I was tempted to leave a note, but I was late to class.

Lead Foot

This is a well documented phenomenon with Cobra owner’s. Perhaps a documentary will be made to explain this one day.

But in the mean time, they will be rabbits for the rest of us, then we will laugh when they get owned whey their pos does not alert to what the rest of us detected 100 yards earlier.

Radar Fanatic

Unexplained indeed. At least it appears to be level, though! That is a rarity by itself.

This is quoted directly from a Cobra owners manual that I found stashed in my drawer:

Where to Mount Your Unit

You will get optimum performance from your detector if you mount it at a point approximately in the center of the vehicle, as low as possible on the front windshield without obstructing the unit's view of the road either to the front or rear. You can also mount it directly to the dashboard.

The unit's lens must not be blocked and the LaserEye should have a clear view out the back window to allow 360 degree detection.

--------------------------------------------

Done. It does say you can mount it directly to the dashboard, so I guess I can understand where the whole mounting behind the wipers come from; although, you would think it would be common sense. It does illustrate a picture of the detector mounted both ways, which are both level, but it doesn't say anything about the importance of the unit being level in the text; again, though, it should be common sense.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by unmamfqlm View Post
    Where to Mount Your Unit

You will get optimum performance from your detector if you mount it at a point approximately in the center of the vehicle, as low as possible on the front windshield without obstructing the unit's view of the road either to the front or rear. You can also mount it directly to the dashboard.
    It all makes sense now! They tell them to mount it there, but youtube videos have been made contrasting the detection with a low mount, and a high mount and the high mount clearly out performs the low mount.

I watched that 30 min video 'Mother of all detectors' with Dante the awesome dog. The $300 Cobra was clearly a piece of "bleep" haha. And Dante confirmed and validated it.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

What I don't understand is why anyone would want to speed in one of those buses.

Radar Fanatic

Low mount I usually pick up with Ka Guard off on the V1. And it's just not pickup truck owners or semi drivers, I've picked up. Acura TSX coming up from behind.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    What I don't understand is why anyone would want to speed in one of those buses.
    My dad is actually about to buy an H3. He had one that he was literally on his way to buy, but someone beat him to it. Anyhow, It will be replacing my parent's 02 Envoy. We have a 21 foot fish and ski boat, and the Envoy just can't handle pulling it at all. My dad is wanting to use it for pulling the boat to the lake and back because he doesn't want to put more miles than he needs to on his work truck. One of my dad's friends has a 5 cylinder H3, which apparently will hold its own when hauling stuff. It gets about 18 mpg, which is about the same as the Envoy. However, he may end up getting the V8 package. I'm not sure what kind of mileage it gets, but I hear it's almost the same as the 5 cylinder engine.

I personally just wish he would get an old CJ style jeep, and fix it up. He misses the Jeeps that he has had in the past, which is why he is wanting something similar. We looked at the newer jeeps for a while, but they have absolutely no power; it's pretty sad, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeth View Post
    Although, the other day, I saw a QX56 with a V1 mounted in the bottom corner of the windshield angled outward. I was tempted to leave a note, but I was late to class.
    I almost never see nice detectors around here. I have seen two Valentines; one at college and one in a tiny convertible sitting in another parking lot. Both were hardwired and level, so that was a pleasant thing to see. Other than those, I just see Cobras and the occasional Whistler XTR models.
    Last edited by unmamfqlm; 04-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Professional

Maybe they think the suction cups are like radar dishes???

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by unmamfqlm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    My dad is actually about to buy an H3.
    H3's probably alright. When I hear "Hummer" I think H2.