Just received a Cobra Vedetta SLR 650G for a Christmas present! Here's some thoughts on it so far:
1. Overall appearance: is nice, well built, totally different!
2. Mounting has to be the best! Suction cup is sticky and can be renewed with water. It's hard to get off even with the lever opened. As with all GPS style mounts a little shaking is normal but not anymore than a standard mount. Whistler, Cobra, and V1 has the best standard mounts. Escort's suck, because cups loose suction ability after a short time. I've been through a lot of sets of their cups. Escort's bracket is okay, it's their cups I don't like. Anyway, mounting can be anywhere now with this new type. I still like mine in the middle as low as possible. I leave the display flipped up and angled towards the driver's position. It looks like a GPS unit so most POs won't notice it unless they look hard. So you have a little stealth in a way of appearance wise.
3. Power cord is a straight cord. It's nice for longer reaches. I have a short reach so I just wrapped the extra length up in a "bow tie" with the twist tie included and run the lighter plug end through the open end of the "bow tie" to hold the cord in place or to hang it on.
4. Volume is a little lower than I like it would be when it is on maximum. So you might have a hard time hearing it with radio up.
5. Brightness is great. You have to dim it manually. It has several positions to suit any lighting situations. If you have a signal and hit the dim pad it goes dark with just a faint view only you can see. Which is nice I think, if you want to go stealth during an alert.
6. GPS locks on very quickly. Updates are a flash. It comes with a self coiling cord. So you can take your laptop out to the car or bring the unit in with you. I think the Module on the XRS 9970G better. It is easier but I don't like it sticking out like it does.
7. Cobra dropped POP, VG2, Spectre, Safety and Strobe alerts on these series. I think this is a great move since it makes the unit more noisy anyway. Safety and Strobe alerts I did get legit sources on my XRS 9970G though but not with any real benefit. Also gone is the "# of Bands" theme. Which is good. This unit has X, K, Ka, Ku, Laser bands only. It tells the frequency of Ka of only the police bands only. Laser it tells the PPS.
8. Setup is a snap and the screen is great at guiding you. It's not a whole touch screen, just along the sides at certain points. I would like the whole screen to be. It's a little challenging to touch those spots on the move. Not hard at all but could be easier. One good thing is you won't get the whole screen smudged up this way.
9. Screen has different color schemes to match any vehicle, a real nice touch! The clarity of the screen is like a LCD or LED TV.
10. GPS functions are great. Split screen feature is nice when receiving radar/laser alerts along with GPS alerts.
11. GPS compass and speed are accurate. Speed might be 1-3 miles off at times but otherwise great.
12. I like the standby screen telling you the Heading, Speed, Voltage, H/C mode and Intellimute features. A lot of info at once.
13. Intellimute feature is great. I set mine when vehicle is warmed up so idle drops as low as it goes with all accessories and lights off. Then when you come to a stop with your brakes on, the idle drops a little lower to activate the Intellimute. So you won't be bothered at intersections or lights with alert sounds. I have a manual transmission, automatics set it in the park position. Then when you put it in drive your rpms will drop a little lower with foot on brake. Make sure your engine is at operating temperature so idle is low as it will be before you set it. Some cars or trucks have a hard time setting it. If yours is one of these. Just set it with foot on brake and in gear at operating temp. If none of the above works set it with engine off. You can also just turn it off too. But I usually get it to work with the above examples.
14. City modes are: City X, City X,K, City X,K,Ka, City Max
You can read the manual on these. I'm not sure on City Max what it does. If anybody knows let me know? (I think it blocks all audio signals including laser until a signal strength of 2 or more.) The manual could be a little more detailed.
15. Range is like my XRS 9970G so far. I need more experience with it.