Thread: leaking

Advanced Member

Default leaking

I'm curious, why do Cobra's leak? A guy the other day passed me on 13 North, and when he passed me my Whistler CR73 went off. Tagging him a mile away, every time he crested a hill, the CR went off. Are the Cobra's really that bad? Is the owner of a leaky detector being bathed in constant radiation a risk? Sounds like a constant chest xray to me.

Kmeleon

Manufacturer

Default Re: leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
    I'm curious, why do Cobra's leak? A guy the other day passed me on 13 North, and when he passed me my Whistler CR73 went off. Tagging him a mile away, every time he crested a hill, the CR went off. Are the Cobra's really that bad? Is the owner of a leaky detector being bathed in constant radiation a risk? Sounds like a constant chest xray to me.

Kmeleon
    A signal processing scheme that cause interference. Older Cobra detectors (of which many were sold) when they "parked." caused falses on other detectors. It's also a function of their LO scheme and the resulting mathematics.

I think it's also a question of the signal processing of the detector that alerts as well. Other detectors with more sophisticated designs, would likely not alert. While Whistler's have good range, compared to other manufacturers, I believe their signal processing is not as sophisticated. I have been trying to nudge Whistler to step up their game, especially when new players (like Attawave-ie; Radenso and Uniden brands) have improved considerably over the recent years.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Advanced Member

Default Re: leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Veil Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post

Kmeleon
    A signal processing scheme that cause interference. Older Cobra detectors (of which many were sold) when they "parked." caused falses on other detectors. It's also a function of their LO scheme and the resulting mathematics.

I think it's also a question of the signal processing of the detector that alerts as well. Other detectors with more sophisticated designs, would likely not alert. While Whistler's have good range, compared to other manufacturers, I believe their signal processing is not as sophisticated. I have been trying to nudge Whistler to step up their game, especially when new players (like Attawave-ie; Radenso and Uniden brands) have improved considerably over the recent years.
    That's a kick ass tech answer! I'm still wondering, if that guy was a mile+ ahead and pinged me each time he set me off line of sight, that's gotta' be a hot car (radiation wise) and even worse, the cars a sort of Faraday cage trapping that RF inside. Not to panic anyone here, but I wouldn't be a passenger in that microwave oven.

Kmeleon