Thread: My V1 review

Default My V1 review

I've owned the bel rx65 for a month and now the newest V1. Here are my observations.
    The rx 65
    has very good range on the highway. It often falsed to other detectors on regular ka band and pop on the highway. It does not go to full alert until you are in sight of the cop. Regardless of what I've read my rx65 falsed all over town. Another thing I didn't like about the rx65 is the display faced forward. If you mounted it by the mirror it would be hard to see the display and very hard to change the modes of operation. Last about the rx65 it had to be sent in for warrnaty work for a service required message after about a month.

V1 pop2 3.821
    The arrows are very cool. Range is great. Mabey the rx65 seemed to false less because of the automute feature :?: . The V1 is amazingly quite on the highway. I've not seen any falses on the highway. I've never had it to give a ka false from another detector . In town it falses often but I'm telling you it is not much different than the rx65. The auto dark feature is really great. I wouldn't mind an auto mute feature on the V1 but that's not a big deal. I purchased and installed the concealed display a couple days ago. This might just be the best feature of the V1. I have the detector mounted on the passenger side of the rear view mirror and the concealed display on my steering column. All the info is right at my finger tips (I think the concealed display would be a little better if they could put a speaker on it.)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone that is on the fence. This is my only my personal opinion please don't hate me for loving the V1.

Advanced Member

what mode did you run the BEL on? Around my town i have come to find that autoscan has better filtering that city

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Default Falsing?

How is your V1 doing as far as falsing goes on the POP mode?

Radar Fanatic

Default V1 Review and Comments on BEL

I am a long time BEL and think that they mostly make good radar detectors. I find the newer BELs, with the exception of the 995, false almost as much as the V1 when both are used in Highway mode. The V1 one is more sensitive, especially on X band, so it will pick up X band door openers, etc. at a greater distance than the BELs.

The 995 was not as sensitive as my 985. It does not get as many K band false alarms, but it is not as sensitive as my V1 on K band. The 995 would not pick up K band police radar around corners whereas the V1 and the 985 would. The 995 was a big disappointment so I returned it and kept my 985.

The Ka performance of the 995 was not even close to either the 985 or the V1.

One thing that I think I really noticed is that yes, the autoscan mode does cut down on false alarms, but it really cuts down the sensitivity on all bands. I would not trust that mode in city or highway driving. You would be better off to use the city mode that only cuts down X band sensitivity. When I use the BELs in autoscan mode it can only pick up the K band door openers in Walmart when I'm about 20 feet away from them. IMHO that is not acceptable.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Default Own a GTO?

I had to ask if you own a GTO as that is one of my favorite cars. Have you encountered any cops using the POP mode. If you are in INDY I would assume you are using 31 or 70. I would assume they would use them there. No encounters here in the north.

Radar Fanatic

Yes, I do have an '04 Impulse Blue GTO and I love it.

I have yet to see any POP radar in the Indianapolis area. I drive US31 and I-69.

Thanks to the N. Indiana update! If you run into POP let me know and I will do the same.

GTO_04

I love the V1 ! I have had many detectors before it but they just don't measure up. Thanks Mike V. for making such a wonderful product!