Radar Fanatic

Default Review- Beltronics Express 925.

In response to Brick's request for more reviews, here's my findings about the Bel Express 925.

I bought one of these for my Mom as a Christmas present for 2004. I've played with it some, here's what I found.

Basics:
    Alerts- among the loudest i've heard. About on par with my RX65.

Mounts- Windshield mount is interresting to say the least. It's a pain to adjust, requires the use of a screwdriver or small coin, but once you do adjust it, it stays put. It actually rattles less than the mount of my RX.

Visor Mount is so-so. It breaks sort of easy if you mess with it a lot.

Display- The Band ID LEDs could be a tinge brighter, but the 7 segment display is great.

Performance-

Ka performance is noticably shorter than the RX. X band also seems substantially less sensitive, but K seems about in range with the RX, which is to say quite good. No experience with Laser yet.

The band ID is always right, which seems to be somewhat of an issue with other brands in this pricerange. The signal strength meter is pretty jumpy though.

Misc-
    The automute- Maybe one of the best features of the Bel 925. The 925 has the traditional Bel automute, not like the one on the RX. Wheras the RX reduces the alert volume after a set time, the 925 changes to clicks rather than the standard tones. Very nice.

Durability-
    Still questionable. After using the detector for about 3 months, it started having major problems alerting to Ka band at high signal with no apparent source. I sent it in to Bel, who by the way, were excelent to deal with. Total turn-around time including shipping both ways was less than 2 weeks, and it seems to have been fixed right the first time. The said they replaced the circuit board. I'll see how long it lasts this time. So far so good.

If there is anything else y'all would like to know about this unit, let me know. I'll answer what I can.

Good Citizen

How often does it false?
    What kind of modes does it have?
    Would you prefer it have a real text LED display like the 935? (I hear they're basically the same unit, just one has the text display the other doesnt).
    Do you think you got your moneys worth?
    Knowing what you know now, would you still have chosen it or tried something else?

I'm also looking for a low-cost (preferably sub-$100) unit.

Radar Fanatic

How often does it false?

It's really pretty acceptable when it's working right. Except for the little spell it had of alerting to Ka randomly (apparently fixed) it's pretty quiet.

What kind of modes does it have?

It has a Highway Mode, City X mode, and City All mode.

Would you prefer it have a real text LED display like the 935? (I hear they're basically the same unit, just one has the text display the other doesnt).

I don't think the text display would be worth the price. The 925 is going in the $70-80 range, while the 935 is still running around $130. I just don't think it's worth that. The audio alerts are good enough you really don't pay a whole lot of attention to the display.

Do you think you got your moneys worth?

Assuming that it's been repaired right, i'd say that it was a good deal.

Knowing what you know now, would you still have chosen it or tried something else?

I think the 925 is the best deal going in the price range. I'd get it again. I did debate back and fourth for days on the decision of getting the 925 or a Whistler Pro-58, but after what i've heard about the Pro-58's false rate, i'm glad I got her the Bel.

The 925 has been rated an excellent buy by the reviewers that have tested it. It displays sensitivity numbers equal to the higher priced models from Bell and the other radar detector companies. It has a few less features but it's an excellent detector.. 8)

Newcomer

This was the very first detector I ever bought, almost a year ago. I had it for a few months until I started realizing all the encounters with local county police were usually always Ka and the range on this detector isnt very long. The K is actually about the same as my X50, as I tested the both using one of the speed signs on the highway, when i got the X50. It is a very good detector for the money and it gets nothing but good reviews! The quote on the box says something like its the best detector in its class and i will strongly agree with that!

-L33T_Hacksta