Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Just picked up the RX65 - first impressions

Well, today is a new day. I have re-entered the world of radar detection. 8)

I used to own a Cobra model radar detector 3 years ago. I haven't had a radar detector in my car since then. Today, I finally buckled down and picked up a Bel RX65 Pro for $232 total!

Well, as soon as I hooked it up and plugged it in, I started getting K alerts. About 30 seconds later, I saw a cop :shock: .. I was shocked, well it works. I left it on default settings for the ride home. It stayed quiet for the majority of the ride.

Coming down a very curvy, windy, 2 lane road, a car flashed their lights at me, letting me know a cop was sitting around. I smiled, and slowed down to 55 mph, wondering how long it would be before the Bel picked up any radar (assuming he has it on). Well coming around the bend of the next turn, I get a K alert at about 3 bar, for 2 seconds. It stops.

Then the road goes into a straight away, and I am getting full blast K and see the cop in bushes on the left about 1/4 mile up the road. I smiled with satisfaction because I knew whether or not the person who flashed his lights at me ended up warning me; I would have had ample time to slow down before the cop was in sight.

So after only 15 minutes of the radar detector being in my car, it was already impressing me.

I chose this radar detector over the X50 mainly because I live close to New Jersey and travel their a lot. As I've read on some reviews the X50 tends to lag a bit on picking up X band. I also bought it because it was cheaper than any X50 I could find :P

I'd have to say the RX65 is so easy to program, it took me 5 minutes to have the settings I wanted. I am disappointed that the Threat display will only do 1 of each band, and not 2 X and 1 K or something, but I suppose I'll make due :wink:

Current settings I have now are

Pilot - H
    Voice - ON
    PwrOn - FST
    Meter - THT (threat mode)
    AMute - ON
    City - LoX

Bands MOD
    X - ON
    K - ON
    KA - International
    SWS - ON
    POP - ON
    LSR - ON
    KU - Off

I'm interested to see if I get a lot of false alarms on the POP or not, as I do live in New York.

I was also wondering if having other feautures turned off would allow more processing power to the Ka for a faster sweep or not. (ie - LSR OFF/SMS OFF)

Advanced Member

Turn off SMS it does nothing and is useless...and you might want to turn off POP if it gets too annoying

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Old Timer

I am disappointed that the Threat display will only do 1 of each band, and not 2 X and 1 K or something, but I suppose I'll make due Wink
    The rx65 always sounded like a great detector, but the threat display is what won me over with the x50

Speed Demon

count yourself lucky they're using constant on.... mainly instant on here. :?

welcome to the forums!

Old Timer

Didnt even notice he was a newcomer. Welcome!

That is cool that they use constant on there, they use a mix of instant-on and constant here as well...

Good Citizen

Welcome from another newcomer!

My new RX65 is already in town, and on the way to my door now. I might have to leave work for a sec to pick it up when it arrives. ;-)

I have had mine for two days now. Works great, display and features are very nice. Coming from the V1, I can say that I am a little worried about not having that dedicated rear detection. My main complaint is the laser falsing around airports, it really is rediculous, to the point where I am going to have to disable laser. For instance, on the way to work this morning (I-65 borders Louisville International for about 3 miles) laser was going nuts. Meanwhile I notice a flash of K, which is a big deal because that is what LEO here mainly uses. However, in the default mode the Rx-65 determines that laser is a higher threat than K and therefore it only shows the laser alert. I guess I will have to either disable laser for daily driving or live with the falsing and change to the multithreat display. I will probably go with the later. Very nice detector other than that...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Turn off SMS it does nothing and is useless...and you might want to turn off POP if it gets too annoying
    I was under the impression that turning off SWS would then just give me a non decoded K alert. If that's the case I'd rather have it say the warning rather than just give a K band, as I'll be more likely to think its police. In my area a few years ago with my Cobra that had SMS, it went off maybe twice for an ambulance. It's not common, but it is available where I am.

If I am wrong in saying that disabling SWS will alert a K band then I will be more than happy to disable it!

Founder of Stealthvation

I owned one for about three months and this is what I can tell you

PROS

GREAT range on Ka, K, X
    Falses very little when POP is disabled

CONS

Tone alert never hits full alert
    Laser detection not up to par to my expectations
    Falses too much when POP is enabled

You got yourself one hell of a detector. The main reason why I got rid of mine was because I missed the Multi Threat display or expert mode
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by robert
    count yourself lucky they're using constant on.... mainly instant on here. :?

welcome to the forums!

Most of my encounters in this area have been constant.....

And yes welcome to the forum!