Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer

Thanks for your response! I wonder if there is record of someone being caught with a jammer in Ontario. Very curious as to any precedence I hate being the guineapig.

One other question, violating such a law would not go on your criminal record (i.e. stop you from entering the US) correct? Another way to ask this would be - for anyone in Ontario who has been busted for having an RD, did this have any further repercussions beyond a fine and loosing your RD?

Yoda of Radar

The radar detector / "interference device" law in Ontario is MERELY a violation of the Highway Code, ie no not in the least. It's like having a busted tailight or going over the PSL.

Default Jammer Find

Hi all !!!
    I am double checking the fine for a Jammer, I looked into it a long time ago and honestly hopes my memory did not fail me. I have found a few intersting sites for ontario people while seaching http://www.ontariospeeding.com/Speed...Detectors.html

And
    http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/sta/h-...ole.html#BK124

My highway traffic act dates 1992, that section was revised when they started using lasers here afterward. I have checked the Provencial Offences Wording And fines book dated 2004 and could not put my finger on it. That's the book opp uses to word the lovely yellow ticket they give you on the side of the road. I will check tomorow at work to see If I have a newer HTA and hopefully come up with an exact anser and a refferance .

Newcomer

Thanks for the info!

I was actually just thinking about insurance implications too. Nice timing!

Ouch.... :/

A conviction on a driving record for having a radar detector will be looked at severely by any insurance company. The conviction to the insurance company shows the driver as a person who consistently speeds and tries to circumvent the laws.
    Insurance hikes are not fun (I know from my youth). I wonder how harsh the increases are. I wonder if it would offset the equivalent in speeding tickets I could accumulate + insurance implications from that.

Does leave me wondering though which province is the best (from a legal perspective) for drivers. I know BC allows RD but its unclear laws on jammers + what mouse said a LEO told him kind of irk me about that province. I guess there is Alb and Sask left (in terms of legal RD). Would be interesting to see if they have clear laws about jammers and what the penalties are if you get caught.

Ok ok, now I am over-thinking this

Advanced Member

Actually with my insurance company the RD ticket is a "memo note" meaning it has no impact on my rates.

I cant see the jammer ever being escalated to an obstruction of justice charge..... it is mentioned in the HTA act so thats where it would fall.

Turning the jammer off and allowing the Leo to get a read would make the obstruction charge hard to fly in court??

Default New Opp Cars in March

New opp cars coming up in March !!!!
    They will be black and white just like in the old days.

Update on radar Jammer ???? I have no yet had the chance to review the information on jammer since now I also have more questions than answers : Like if the police seize the radar detector/jammer and they will, would that mean that you would have to appear in court as well??? SO to calculate the cost of getting cought one would have to figure out the cost of the detector and or jammer the cost of going to court and losing a days work. Getting no sympaty from the insurance company and the cop for sure for jamming, I think the jammer is too much to risk. Don't forget that cop are trained to first take a visual reading of the car speeding, then confirm it with the radar or laser. In other words they look for who's passing everybody and then point their laser at it and then .... no reading????? KAPOW they will pull you over and search you car inside out , they can legally and they can rip out the hardware pretty quick.

Watch out for those new black and white, they are more visible thank god!!

Newcomer

I can't wait to see those cars! I really like them!

Umm... what am I saying. I don't EVER want to see those cars!

Advanced Member

Default Re: New Opp Cars in March

Quote Originally Posted by digital4fun
    New opp cars coming up in March !!!!
    They will be black and white just like in the old days.

Update on radar Jammer ???? I have no yet had the chance to review the information on jammer since now I also have more questions than answers : Like if the police seize the radar detector/jammer and they will, would that mean that you would have to appear in court as well??? SO to calculate the cost of getting cought one would have to figure out the cost of the detector and or jammer the cost of going to court and losing a days work. Getting no sympaty from the insurance company and the cop for sure for jamming, I think the jammer is too much to risk. Don't forget that cop are trained to first take a visual reading of the car speeding, then confirm it with the radar or laser. In other words they look for who's passing everybody and then point their laser at it and then .... no reading????? KAPOW they will pull you over and search you car inside out , they can legally and they can rip out the hardware pretty quick.

Watch out for those new black and white, they are more visible thank god!!
    Its not that staight forward.

Different vehicles have different levels of reflectivity. A small sporty dark car will be harder to "lock" than a white Escalade for example.

A car bra also makes the lock significantly more difficult. Also if the Leo is using a handheld he has to control his breathing and shaking of the gun, throw in different lighting conditions, battery strength of the gun etc, etc and you see there is a large grey area we are playing with here.

Highway shots are over much longer distances to allow for stopping time so the ability of the cop to ascertain a visual estimate of your speed is poor. He's more likely to be just concentrating sighting than making speed estimates.

Of course there is a risk using a jammer and everyone has there own level of comfort .

Default opp and JAmmers !!!!

Hello All !!!
    Today's been a pain trying to come up with the exact answer of fines ect for Jammers. So I found this link at
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/S...sh/90h08_e.htm, wich should be fairly well updated MTO site HTA online. However they left the fine tables out of it of course. There is still one more site I can check but will have to do so at work, it seems to be part of the network and not online. Anyway long story short.....I asked a police officer about Jammers. He said their like radar detectors, the officer will seize it and then you will be apointed to a court date. The judge will decide your fine amount.

Related info for seizure of warning device/jammer
    Powers of police officer

(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Forfeiture of device

(4) Where a person is convicted of an offence under this section, any device seized under subsection (3) by means of which the offence was committed is forfeited to the Crown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (4).

Penalty

(5) Every person who contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (5).

If I can find more infor I will update !!!
    Safe driving every one !!!!

Advanced Member

It's basically just an add on to the RD piece of legislation