Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default What is happening???? V1

I have a V1 detector, V. 1.8 w/o the POP2.

I CONSTANTLY see cops now and get zapped w/ KA band within 50 feet of seeing a cop. It is not a strong burst like instant on, just a few beeps and it shows KA and then it is too late.

Is this the POP2 technology they are using?

This never happened until the last 6 months or so to me.....

Please help!

Advanced Member

I doubt it's POP cause then your detector would most likely not alert...The officers are probably using Low Powered instant on Ka...And they probably are being smart only turning it on occassionally...

What you might want to try is to increase the Ka sensitivity not sure how to do it since i don't own a V1 but that is something you could try...

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Well I originally thought this was instant on. I got pulled over on a back road for doing 50+ in a 40. My V1 had always been great about warning me several miles ahead, except instant on of course, and that usually is a long burst that is constant noise and signal strength.

However, this time, it did not go off until I was 50 feet from him, and it was 2 short little "blips" and it showed KA and then he had me.

He told me I needed a new radar detector, I said there was nothing I could do about "instant on", he said he didn't use instant on on me, said he had me a long way away.

Since then I have seen several cops doing the same thing, waiting until they are right up on you, then you get 2 little "blips" of KA but luckily I wasn't speeding then.....

What could this be??

Radar Fanatic

That's strange. I don't think that the duration of the signal ought to affect the signal strength reading. So even if it were POP I would expect it to go nuts at that range. Unless it's just catching the beginning or tail end of the extremely short signal? JTW said that he was going to do another POP test of the latest V1 which would be interesting to see.

I would expect more out of it even when encountering a low-power gun. How many lights worth of signal strength are we really talking about here? crazyVOLVOrob is probably correct that it's just an instant-on gun but I have to wonder if something else is going on here.

**EDIT***
    Didn't see your second post until after I put mine up. If he was using constant radar then this is really suspicious. Do you know what firmware revision you have? (That's just out of curiosity.) I might be inclined to call VR and talk to one of their techs about this one. If your unit was working well and suddenly started doing this I would be worried that it might not be working right. How long ago did you buy it?

Advanced Member

maybe update or send it in for service

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

The other possibility is that the cop's radar has drifted out to the edge of the band. No doubt detection would suffer in a case like this. This theory could be refuted if you can confirm that you see this phenomenon with 2 or 3 different units.

How do I check the firmware? When I go to updgrade status, I get this:

V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8. This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser with just one exception—it lacks POP Protection. Of interest to those who drive in Europe, the latest V1 version also has a Euro Mode.

Upgrade Recommendation: You have a sophisticated security system, and we’re cautious about recommending an Upgrade. If you believe in keeping up with technology, particularly if the POP Mode is being used in your area, then go ahead. V1’s approach to the POP problem is superior to all others in the industry. If you drive in Europe, you will appreciate our new Euro Mode which improves protection on photo radar as it is used in the E.U.

I was thinking it was doing this because it was this new "POP2" thing, they were talking about...but maybe you guys are right...maybe something is up w/ my detector...

I DO KNOW....that sometimes my radar goes off on X or K (can't remember" just randomly when NO COPS are around and will do this for 30-40 mins. IT will do one signal strength and point ahead and then go away, and then 1-2 mins later do it again.....been doing this for a while....anyone elses' do this? This even happens in my neighborhood when I first fire up the truck....no cops around....this doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to happen a couple of times a month....

What does everyone think?

Advanced Member

Either you live in an area filled with falses or your detector needs to be serviced and I'm willing to bet on the later

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Well I just called V1 and spoke to a "Joe" there and he said I should definitely (sp?) send the unit in for inspection.

He told me if I send it in to get upgraded to POP2 I would get this other problem about the KA fixed for the same price.

He told me just to include a note with it.

Also, I noted the price jumped from $50 a few weeks ago to upgrade to now $75 and he said they have upgraded their software so it is actually newer than the $50 upgrade a few weeks ago so they had to charge a higher price.....

Guess I will send this thing in.....what will I do for a week w/ no radar detector!?!?!?

Advanced Member

It's useless if it doesn't alert so send it back definitely....

And for the week without it Try going no more than 10 over, the most i ever do with out a detector is 15 over

Scanner-RS Pro-96