Thanks to Roy, I just got my RX65 today in fine fashion!
I took it for a little test drive, and this is what I found....
- Found a speed sign. Detected it about 400m away from behind it with it pointing in the opposite direction. I was impressed. Detected it about 800m away as I was moving away from it on the opposite side of the road. A little disappointed, but no biggie. Looped around and detected it about 4.5 kms away as I was moving toward it (Ka band) in a loose bunch of traffic. I was impressed.
- Found a photo-radar van. Detected it as I was approaching it, imediately in front of it. It was taking pictures of traffic going the other way, so was not really aimed at me. Met expectations. I looped around (what a ridiculous chore THAT was on this road, took about 15 minutes!) and drove past it. No detection whatsoever. I am thinking the operator must have judged my speed or saw I was beside another vehicle and decided it wasn't worth flicking the switch. I wasn't about to turn around and try it again...
- I love the threat display, although it takes more work to pay attention to it.
- Falses noticeably less than the Whistler 1490 I had previously, however from my limited experience tonight, I'd have to say range is roughly equivilant. I'll update on that impression as I gain more experience with the RX65, but I will say I was always blown away by the range on the Whistler 1490 (it was a top of the class detector when I bought it, with good reason). It is hardly "virtually free of falsing" as it claims, but still does an excellent job.
- I love the mute button on the power plug and the automute feature!