Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default Why POP is so deadly...and is real.

I know others have said that you will be hit with POP once in a couple million times. However, the truth is real depending on areas where POP is used specially with the 16 msec burst. The fact is that most RD's won't trigger an alert with the 16 msec burst and you will never know that you got hit by POP until you get nailed with IO.

I have been using the Z35 for about a week now and wanted to share some findings. Aside from being stealth, it can clock speeds at an average distance of 0.25 to 0.3 mile and sometimes farther depending on the size and aerodynamics of the vehicle. The bigger and non-aerodynamic the vehicle, the farther the clocking distance. What's interesting about it is that, there is nothing you can do to defend your self even when using a rabbit when the operator has a good spot to hide where he can nail you at close range. Being a handheld unit makes it very flexible for use and match more accurate becasue you can point it to the target vehicle with better precision than fixed radar mount systems.
    It can be true that we may not encounter POP at all but the fact is the 16 msec burst is not detectable by most RD's and even my X50 and V1 was silent at close range. 5 feet to be exact in front of the RD.

My conclusion is that POP is real and deadly. It cannot be taken for granted.

Here is a quick demo performed by jmbonzzz.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/videos/Z35Demo.wmv

Old Timer

^ +1 - very well said.

The problem, the way I see it, is not only that our detectors stand such bad chances of picking up true POP, but also that our confidence in our equipment is eroded every time we receive a POP-false - and since the latter is so prolific, especially in densely urban areas where detector usage is common....well, it begs to be a serious problem.

This, combined with the fact that current detector technology cannot conclusively rule-out either false-positives nor false-negatives leads many of us to conclude that enabling POP protection, even on the detectors that are most sensitive to this threat, still results in a no-win situation.

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: Why POP is so deadly...and is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    I know others have said that you will be hit with POP once in a couple million times. However, the truth is real depending on areas where POP is used specially with the 16 msec burst. The fact is that most RD's won't trigger an alert with the 16 msec burst and you will never know that you got hit by POP until you get nailed with IO.

I have been using the Z35 for about a week now and wanted to share some findings. Aside from being stealth, it can clock speeds at an average distance of 0.25 to 0.3 mile and sometimes farther depending on the size and aerodynamics of the vehicle. The bigger and non-aerodynamic the vehicle, the farther the clocking distance. What's interesting about it is that, there is nothing you can do to defend your self even when using a rabbit when the operator has a good spot to hide where he can nail you at close range. Being a handheld unit makes it very flexible for use and match more accurate becasue you can point it to the target vehicle with better precision than fixed radar mount systems.
    It can be true that we may not encounter POP at all but the fact is the 16 msec burst is not detectable by most RD's and even my X50 and V1 was silent at close range. 5 feet to be exact in front of the RD.

You forgot one important FACT. It hardly gets used. POP is POOP. It is a COMPLETE over-hyped waste. Cops love to drive around and use mobile radar. If they sit still more than likely they will use laser.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    You forgot one important FACT. It hardly gets used. POP is POOP. It is a COMPLETE over-hyped waste. Cops love to drive around and use mobile radar. If they sit still more than likely they will use laser.
    And in many states, POP is not sufficient to write a ticket that will stand up in court.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits

Ditto, X1.

Laser is what people should be scared of when they see a cop on the side of the road.

Power User

There is no doubt that could be true but also consider that not all cops in stationary mode will use laser. Also cost wise, you can get 2 or 3 Z35 and 1 laser gun depending on brand and model. I strongly disagree that it is over-hyped happya$$ becasue i can see it with my own eyes how this unit works.

I know you have used the Z35 before but understand, POP mode is just a tool and is not a means for issuing a citation. If i can clock your speed at .2 to .3 of a mile with POP, then pressing the trigger for more than half a second will go into IO mode. There is only 1 state that i know of that don't use POP and the other 49 states uses POP and that's the fact.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthcb
    And in many states, POP is not sufficient to write a ticket that will stand up in court.
    You got it right. POP is not used to issue citations but one thing you don't understand is how it goes into IO and IO can issue you a citation. Even your radar detector cannot give a beep at 5 feet away with the unit directly in front of it. You won't even know you where hit by POP.

I think that you have to see for yourself and see how it performs. This is a fact, it is real and a deadly "TOOL" LEO can have. Why? Because it is "stealthy."

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by lilmikey

Laser is what people should be scared of when they see a cop on the side of the road.
    No doubt about that and i agree 200%. But also remember, there are laser jammers to use. But there are no jammers for POP.

Power User

POP is deadly if it is from the MPH Z25 or Z35 16ms k band POP. Both are the same radar gun except one runs off of bettery the other has to be plugged in.

Here are the test we did of it:

http://www.guysoflidar.com/march-200...-test.html#pop

Scroll to the bottom for regular 67ms Ka POP no detection:
    http://www.guysoflidar.com/radar-det...ctor-test.html

Here is a test of 16ms POP with straight line of site at only 500 feet (very close):
    http://www.guysoflidar.com/radar-det...adar-test.html

I would like to see the radar detector makers find a way to defeat POP, but only if they can defeat it without reducing any other detection on the detector. Most detector makers have done a good job on defeating 67ms Ka band POP, but only Whistler and V1 have defeated 67ms K band POP. None of the detector makers have defeated 16ms K band POP. Even though it's not a great threat it's still possible you could run into it. Right now the only thing in our favor is the Z25 and Z35 are not popular with law enforcement agencies and if they do have those guns not all the cops using them know how to operate POP correctly.

Power User

Very good links stalthjamal. Although i have read some of them in the past but not all of the links you gave me. Very informative. Sad part is, my V1 3.826 did not give a blip at 5 ft. with the Z35. The Z35 is somewhat tricky to use and was happy at first that my V1 detected a few burst with 10 tries but found out it was not the case. With the Z35 as you know, you have to press set up and turn it on by pressing the up arrow. What it does is, it only allows you to use POP for a few seconds and it goes back to normal mode. As i was pulling the trigger up to 10 times, i found out that after a few trigger pulls, it goes back to normal mode triggering my V1. Initially, i thought that once POP mode is on, it was always on until you turn it off. But that is not the case. I know you tested your STi with 16ms. I think you need to check it again making sure that you pull the trigger while it says POP in the window. You can also pull the trigger at the end of the time frame while POP is on and a fraction of a second later it goes to normal mode trigger the RD.