Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Passport 7500S?

  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default Passport 7500S?

    It's official: my girlfriend has a lead foot. In all honesty, she drives quite a bit faster than I do and that's always been the case. But she never started getting tickets until she met me. (In the past year she's been pulled over at least three times...there may have been a fourth but I couldn't tell if she was kidding or not so I didn't bother pressing the issue.) Only one ticket stuck, but this last incident on Sunday has proven that she needs some help. So I've decided to get her a present at some point in the relatively near future.

    I would just get her a V1 like mine, but I'm hesitant for two reasons. First, she's used a V1 in the past and I don't think she cares much about the arrows. That just isn't how she uses it. Given that, I don't think I can justify the price tag again when there are other excellent units out there.

    I'm currently thinking that an X50 or RX65 would be a good match for her. I'm also looking at their little brothers, the 7500S and RX55. This long-winded post brings me to the real question: does anyone have experience with the 7500S? Is it just an 8500 with fewer features or is there more to it? If it can't be updated, that might be a deal breaker.

    Anyway, sorry for using so many words. Any information or opinions are appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Passport 7500S?

    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    It's official: my girlfriend has a lead foot. In all honesty, she drives quite a bit faster than I do and that's always been the case. But she never started getting tickets until she met me. (In the past year she's been pulled over at least three times...there may have been a fourth but I couldn't tell if she was kidding or not so I didn't bother pressing the issue.) Only one ticket stuck, but this last incident on Sunday has proven that she needs some help. So I've decided to get her a present at some point in the relatively near future.

    I would just get her a V1 like mine, but I'm hesitant for two reasons. First, she's used a V1 in the past and I don't think she cares much about the arrows. That just isn't how she uses it. Given that, I don't think I can justify the price tag again when there are other excellent units out there.

    I'm currently thinking that an X50 or RX65 would be a good match for her. I'm also looking at their little brothers, the 7500S and RX55. This long-winded post brings me to the real question: does anyone have experience with the 7500S? Is it just an 8500 with fewer features or is there more to it? If it can't be updated, that might be a deal breaker.

    Anyway, sorry for using so many words. Any information or opinions are appreciated.
    Get her a sensitive detector that doesn't false a lot even at the expense of a little bit of range and make damn sure the alarm tones are pleasent and are automatically muted!!! Also make sure the display is very clear and readable.. You will thank me in the end. :wink: 8)

  3. #3
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,182

    Default

    I would go with one of the BEL units since the KU band is offically coming to america, unless you want to hassle and get the x50 upgraded

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    2,303

    Default

    Although i've had no firsthand experience with the 7500, I have heard that the range on Ka was not good at all. Maybe better to look at the Bel 65 or the Escort X50 if she's likely to come up against Ka.

  5. #5
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    663

    Default

    What's a brick?

  6. #6
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    625

    Default SML's test in 2000 compared the 7500 to the V1

    SML's test in 2000

    V1
    X band 3.0 miles
    K band 2.6 miles
    Ka band 4.0 miles

    Passport 7500
    X band 1.9 miles
    K band 1.4 miles
    Ka band 1.8 miles

    I hope this helps you decide which one your girlfriend needs.

  7. #7
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr

    Anyway, if you want her to stop getting tickets, you could get her a brick to drive as well. Nobody ever suspects a brick is speeding... :twisted:
    Lol, true. I should let her drive my old car that my parents still have...1985 Volvo 740 wagon. Silver with a big, rusting dent in the left rear quarter panel. Nobody ever paid attention to me in that thing.

    Marlinspike, I don't know if SmaartAasSaabr is referring to this or not but a "brick" is common nomenclature for a Volvo if you're talking to the right people. Probably because they're rock solid (or at least were back in the day), and partially because they used to look like bricks.

    In any event, lots of good feedback so thanks. Sounds like the 7500S is not the way to go.

  8. #8
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,182

    Default Re: SML's test in 2000 compared the 7500 to the V1

    Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    SML's test in 2000

    V1
    X band 3.0 miles
    K band 2.6 miles
    Ka band 4.0 miles

    Passport 7500
    X band 1.9 miles
    K band 1.4 miles
    Ka band 1.8 miles

    I hope this helps you decide which one your girlfriend needs.
    I would just get her a V1 like mine, but I'm hesitant for two reasons. First, she's used a V1 in the past and I don't think she cares much about the arrows. That just isn't how she uses it. Given that, I don't think I can justify the price tag again when there are other excellent units out there.
    I dont think she needs the V1 if she doesnt want the arrows. I believe an original 8500 or an x50 would be sufficeint for her. Possibly give her a cobra 9600 or 9700, but the POP sucks on those.

  9. #9
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    625

    Default

    What about the Whistler Pro 73 for her?

    http://radarbusters.com/support/product-tests/2.asp

    You can get it for less than $150 and it seems excellent in range and it doesn't kill you if it gets stolen like the high-priced radar detectors.

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    What about the Whistler Pro 73 for her?

    http://radarbusters.com/support/product-tests/2.asp

    You can get it for less than $150 and it seems excellent in range and it doesn't kill you if it gets stolen like the high-priced radar detectors.
    You know, that's not a bad idea. Sounds like it will definitely give her what she needs and it won't break the bank. I guess I've been thinking too much "inside the box" with respect to the big three. Might be neat to run it alongside the V1 and see how they compare in actual use .

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Is the Passport 7500S worth $50???
    By Audi Quattro in forum Escort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 01:10 AM
  2. Passport 7500S?.....or alternative???
    By Arashi666 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 11:55 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 09:56 PM
  4. Passport 7500s
    By lerk409 in forum Escort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 02:05 PM
  5. 7500 vs 7500s || 7500s vs. v1
    By ziddey in forum Escort
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 10:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •