Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cheetah Rep

Default Anyone compare X50 to V1 on laser range

I'm looking for info comparing laser range between these two.
    has anyone done some real world comparisons.
    I mount high on the windshield, and it seems laser is going to be an issue around here.
    I just installed my blinder m-10 twin the other day that i got last year off ebay. i had it on yesterday when i was driving around town doing my comparisons and i found a laser trap. i left it on and let a car drive past me on the left, as i got closer to the motor cop i turned it off, and as i drove by i saw him turn and stare at the car that was going faster than me, so i think it may have worked, but i'm not positive. if i find out they have a newer type laser gun (he was holding a small handheld, black handle with silver body) that it doesn't block, then i'll upgrade to the M20 or M40.
    I'm also considering using Veil, i just wonder how it will look/work on my chrome trim. (no front plate here)

Founder of Stealthvation

I do not have exact numbers but I can tell you that my V1 has been equal to my Blinder in terms of laser range. The V1 has impressed the hell out of me with its laser detection. I have been lasered like crazy here in Ohio. Officers LOVE laser here, absolutely LOVE IT
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Old Timer

laser is a straight beam. I dont believe it deminishes for a LOONNGGG range. So this isn't somthing you should be worried about in a detector.

V1 Zombie

you never know its possible to get a hit from the car in front of you. Saved me more than three times. and ive got a high mount aswell.

Founder of Stealthvation

Mike has the Laser detection as good as it can get on a radar detector. I still say that with the Blinder, Veil, and V1 you are almost invisible
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Manufacturer

I coouldn't comment specifically about this in my review because we only commented on what we actually experienced.

That being said, the V1 has [in the past] demonstrated superior laser detection as compared to the others, at least at SML's previous years test.

Unfortunately SML doesn't keep an archive online of previous years but I recall in '03 the V1 was the only wiindshield mount detector capable of seeing and alerting to laser use at distances less than 1000' (500', I recall).

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    laser is a straight beam. I dont believe it deminishes for a LOONNGGG range. So this isn't somthing you should be worried about in a detector.
    A laser is a straight beam, but a speed laser gun (lidar) does spread. A cheap laser pointer spreads less than a lidar gun.

From SML:
    "The distances are important as at 500 feet the laser’s beam divergence is a mere 18 inches and at 1000 feet 36 inches. Officers are limited by judicial precedent from operating laser past 1000 feet"

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by joop1987
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    A laser is a straight beam, but a speed laser gun (lidar) does spread. A cheap laser pointer spreads less than a lidar gun.

From SML:
    "The distances are important as at 500 feet the laser’s beam divergence is a mere 18 inches and at 1000 feet 36 inches. Officers are limited by judicial precedent from operating laser past 1000 feet"
    Agreed, plus you can do a very simple test for yourself. At night go outside with a laser pointer. Have a friend shoot it at a wall, now walk around close to the target and look towards the laser source... despite the fact the beam is quite narrow, it will still be possible for you to see the source because some light bounces off the cover/lens etc...

I suspect the v1 would see this kind of indirect laser as well.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy
    I coouldn't comment specifically about this in my review because we only commented on what we actually experienced.

That being said, the V1 has [in the past] demonstrated superior laser detection as compared to the others, at least at SML's previous years test.

Unfortunately SML doesn't keep an archive online of previous years but I recall in '03 the V1 was the only wiindshield mount detector capable of seeing and alerting to laser use at distances less than 1000' (500', I recall).

The Veil Guy 8)
    http://web.archive.org/web/200310240...peedzones.com/

Lead Foot

The V1 sweeps 360 deg and has a greater ability to pick up off angle laser whereas the X50 and the Bels have limited range in their sweeps.