Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Last Tests for ZR3s/CR8APL8

A couple of weeks ago, I was shooting the UL at my car and getting PTs at about 600 ft or so. It was pretty bad. Well today, I thought it would be interesting to try one last set of tests on my ZR3s, before I get the 9500ci installed on Monday/Tuesday, this time without the front CR8APL8. So, I called up my brother and we went over to our Dad's house, since he lives at the end of a long cul-de-sac, ideal for jammer testing.

Wow! What a difference. Neither of us was able to get any PTs over 200 ft without the front plate on. And remenber, this is a CR8APL8, so it's not even that reflective, but it was still quite a factor. These results were way more different than I expected. Thought I'd share.

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: Last Set of Tests for my ZR3s

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    A couple of weeks ago, I was shooting the UL at my car and getting PTs at about 600 ft or so. It was pretty bad. Well today, I thought it would be interesting to try one last set of tests on my ZR3s, before I get the 9500ci installed on Monday/Tuesday, this time without the front CR8APL8. So, I called up my brother and we went over to our Dad's house, since he lives at the end of a long cul-de-sac, ideal for jammer testing.

Wow! What a difference. Neither of us was able to get any PTs over 200 ft without the front plate on. And remenber, this is a CR8APL8, so it's not even that reflective, but it was still quite a factor. These results were way more different than I expected. Thought I'd share.

Add a Laser Shield to that replica plate OR 3M tape and you should get the same results as if having no plate
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Effective June 1, 2008, any covering on a License Plate aka TAG here in Florida, will result in immediate confiscation of the tag and a $48.00 charge to get a new tag for your vehicle not to mention leaving you and your car stranded wherever the LEO disables you. This law includes ANY application, modification, covering or any defacing of the tag. :roll: License plate frames are excluded of course but they must allow unrestricted view of the information contained on said tag, ie, State Name, obviously the Tag letters and numbers as well as the registration sticker and the County name found on most non Vanity type Florida tags. YMMV!

Enjoy your stay in the Sunshine State!

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by C55
    Effective June 1, 2008, any covering on a License Plate aka TAG here in Florida, will result in immediate confiscation of the tag and a $48.00 charge to get a new tag for your vehicle not to mention leaving you and your car stranded wherever the LEO disables you. This law includes ANY application, modification, covering or any defacing of the tag. :roll: License plate frames are excluded of course but they must allow unrestricted view of the information contained on said tag, ie, State Name, obviously the Tag letters and numbers as well as the registration sticker and the County name found on most non Vanity type Florida tags. YMMV!

You serious? Well that sucks. Granted, I don't have a cover on mine, but still...

To djrams:
    Well, that's weird. It almost makes it sound as if the ZR3's have a weak output that was being overpowered by the reflectiveness of the CR8APL8. Weird....

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    To djrams:
    Well, that's weird. It almost makes it sound as if the ZR3's have a weak output that was being overpowered by the reflectiveness of the CR8APL8. Weird....
    Yeah, I was shocked! I didn't put any numbers down on paper, but I would guess the average PT with the plate was about 600 ft and without was probably between 100-150 ft. Several times it was less that 100 ft, sometimes JTG. When my Dad shot the gun, it was always JTG, but that's mostly because he is super old, shaky, pathetically weak and completely feeble! :P But, there definitely was a monster difference between plate and no plate! LEOs in this state like to pull people over for their plate covers, since they are illegal in Cali, so I dont want to use a plate cover, if I can avoid it.

Street Lawyer

FIGHT IT!

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=37129

A 31-year old US SUPREME COURT DECISION SAYS 'bracket' laws violate the first amendment! Listen up Florida, Texas and other states with similar laws!

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=430&invol=705

Quote:

Identifying the Maynards' interests as implicating First Amendment protections does not end our inquiry however. [430 U.S. 705, 716] We must also determine whether the State's countervailing interest is sufficiently compelling to justify requiring appellees to display the state motto on their license plates. See, e. g., United States v. O'Brien, 391 U.S. 367, 376 -377 (1968). The two interests advanced by the State are that display of the motto (1) facilities the identification of passenger vehicles, 12 and (2) promotes appreciation of history, individualism, and state pride.

The State first points out that passenger vehicles, but not commercial, trailer, or other vehicles are required to display the state motto. Thus, the argument proceeds, officers of the law are more easily able to determine whether passenger vehicles are carrying the proper plates. However, the record here reveals that New Hampshire passenger license plates normally consist of a specific configuration of letters and numbers, which makes them readily distinguishable from other types of plates, even without reference to the state motto. 13 Even were we to credit the State's reasons and "even though the governmental purpose be legitimate and substantial, that purpose cannot be pursued by means that broadly stifle fundamental personal liberties when the end can be more narrowly achieved. The breadth of legislative abridgment must be viewed in the light of less drastic means for achieving the [430 U.S. 705, 717] same basic purpose." Shelton v. Tucker, 364 U.S. 479, 488 (1960) (footnotes omitted).

The State's second claimed interest is not ideologically neutral. The State is seeking to communicate to others an official view as to proper appreciation of history, state pride, and individualism. Of course, the State may legitimately pursue such interests in any number of ways. However, where the State's interest is to disseminate an ideology, no matter how acceptable to some, such interest cannot outweigh an individual's First Amendment right to avoid becoming the courier for such message. 14

We conclude that the State of New Hampshire may not require appellees to display the state motto upon their vehicle license plates; and, accordingly, we affirm the judgment of the District Court.

Affirmed.

Yes, but they will still take the plate. I must say that this was heard from a LEO at an event I worked with who's patrol area is a very ritzy beach community in North Florida, outside of Jacksonville, so I am sure enforcement will be very light and, like the loudness Ordinances from car stereos, will only be enforced if one draws too much attention to one's self and gives those LEOs who wish to enforce this, a reason to do so.

Street Lawyer

Yes, but they will still take the plate. I must say that this was heard from a LEO at an event I worked with who's patrol area is a very ritzy beach community in North Florida, outside of Jacksonville, so I am sure enforcement will be very light and, like the loudness Ordinances from car stereos, will only be enforced if one draws too much attention to one's self and gives those LEOs who wish to enforce this, a reason to do so.
    meh, just report the plate stolen lol

Old Timer

Yikes! That's some harsh penalties for just having a plate cover! :shock:

I'd definitely be tempted to, instead, use a "non-'retroreflective'" replica plate, as well as spraying it with an anti-reflective, matte, clearcoat, or dressing it with 3M Clear Duct Tape (the latter to also be sure to park "nose in," where-appropriate).