Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chevy HHR -- A B**** Of a Test Vehicle!

Hi everyone,

As we all know, a metallic silver Chevy HHR was used by GOL for their latest 2008 laser jammer tests. This vehicle was a frigging nightmare for the laser jammers to protect since the HHR features numerous areas where a laser gun's signal could be readily reflected from. A lot of these reflections would be rather intense.

Following is a photo of a similar HHR, but this HHR is missing the low mounted front fog lights.

-- The two light green rectangles indicate where the front jammer heads were mounted during the GOL tests.
    -- The front bumber (encompassed in orange) features a vertical front surface.
    -- The side mirrors (encompassed in orange) feature chromed forward surfaces.
    -- The front grille features fully rolled over horizontal slats. The shapes of these rolled over slat edges is indicated by the orange curves at the left edges of each of the front grille's horizontal slats.
    -- Finally, all direct and mirrored reflections which would occur for lidar gun angles between zero to 5 degres off-axis towards the driver's side are indicated in red. Note that most states design their license plates to reflect lidar. Thus the entire front license plate area is marked with a large rectangular box. Even without a front license plate, there are an awful lot of areas marked in red, aside from the vehicle' highly reflective metallic silver paint, which would efficiently reflect lidar gun signals back towards the lidar gun.

So, after looking at the photos, what do you guys think? Was the Chevy HHR indeed a "worst case scenario" test vehicle for the jammer systems?

Here is a photo of the inherent curvatures of both the front grille and front bumper:

A right side view of the chromed front grille:

A left side view of the front chromed grille:

Note the fog lamp location below the bumper, plus the vertical ribbed structure built into the headlight assembly:

A better view of the front bumper's curvature:

A high perspective view of the entire front right grille, headlight and bumper areas.

Old Timer

Default Re: Chevy HHR -- A B**** Of a Test Vehicle!

i believe that is a WCS vehicle...just look at the chrome...omg...only thing i can think of thats as bad or worse is the 300c with a chrome grille

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    i believe that is a WCS vehicle...just look at the chrome...omg...only thing i can think of thats as bad or worse is the 300c with a chrome grille

DJrams did an incredible job picking out this vehicle. I told him on the phone "DJ pick a worst case vehicle that is also great on gas".
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Old Timer

see if u can get a PT on that bad boy

http://www.taylortruck.net/images/20...Pics%20011.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    see if u can get a PT on that bad boy

http://www.taylortruck.net/images/20...Pics%20011.jpg

I bet a laser gun could get a reading on that truck from a mile away!

Power User

yeah, HHR is definbately a bad case for a jammer head to try to defend. . . so with that being said im fairly comfortable with the ZR4 defending my civic, especially after a few additions like a bra and some veil. . . it did pretty good on that IMpalla as opposed to the HHR as well, and since my civic is darker, smaller, and more curved than even that, im happy

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666 View Post
    yeah, HHR is definbately a bad case for a jammer head to try to defend. . . so with that being said im fairly comfortable with the ZR4 defending my civic, especially after a few additions like a bra and some veil. . . it did pretty good on that IMpalla as opposed to the HHR as well, and since my civic is darker, smaller, and more curved than even that, im happy
    With this setup you definitely should be good to go, and can probably consistently jam a Stalker (the worst gun for the ZR4) down to around 100 feet if not occasionally JTG.

Power User

well around here the favorites are split between stalkers that ive seen, and im seeing alot of ultralytes as well, apparantly both the laser tickets my brother has got are from ultralytes (atleast what I got from his description, big black gun with vertical stacked lenses). . . yeah, all 2 of um. . . idiot, no RD, no jammer and he consistently cruises at 80+, thats fater than I do, WITH a full countermeasures suite

ZR4 did about equal on the 2, so its a toss up really but according to my brother they shoot a bit further out, id say 1000 feet from driving own the road in question. . . im reasonably certain I can jam an Ultralyte at 1000 feet
    Last edited by Arashi666; 08-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Old Timer

After looking at that analysis - and MEM-TEK, that's one ROCKIN' analysis - I totally agree with what MEM had to say, before, regarding the rather strange anomalies (er....is that redundant redundant, or what? ) seen during some of the testing (i.e. the ZR3 versus Marksman data).

All those rather unconventional surfaces and hardpoints....yep, that'll cause some "strangeness," all-right!

Professional

anyone remember the chromed bmw?

Chrome BMW M3 By Nish Vamadevan