Default Result of SML vs. GOL??

Can anyone explain to me why the results for the Blinder extreme unit are so different when tested by SML http://www.speedzones.com/counter.html
    vs GOL
    http://www.kc8unj.com/radar/guysoflidar/lasertests.html

Why the drastic difference between the two?

Thanks

Administrator

Default ???

Why the drastic difference between the two?
    Well if you look how the testing was done, it was completly different

SML was at the 1000' to 500' marks only

The GOL went from over 1500' to the location of the laser gun
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Manufacturer

Mounting position was quite poor for the M40 unit [at GoL] and optimal positioning is absolutely critical to performance regardless of jammer make.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Longsnowsm

Well first the vehicles were very different between the two testing groups. GOL went with a vehicle with a very right angle type grill, large profile, hard to jam color, large headlights, and chrome. GOL baseline a vehicle for these tests. The placement of the Blinder heads on the GOL test has been questioned and pretty much agreed upon that the placement of the top heads was not ideal and affected the jamming ability of the Blinder. GOL says that they did try a different placement later on and the Blinder cut most of the distances in half. So some of the differences can be explained in the vehicle type and installation. With SML... OMG - PICK A VEHICLE and stick with it! They had a Suburban, a mid sized car, and a BMW. You cannot easily compare any of jammer products when the tests are not baselined on a given vehicle! You see jammer heads taped to the bumper on cars. These are not real world installations and the results should be questioned.

I will try to refrain from unloading both barrels on SML. Their results are questionable at best. The assumptions for their testing is very flawed. Installation of jammers was certainly questionable, and time after time we see results coming out of SML that cannot be explained unless you assume the worst. I would take SML results with a grain of salt and read it only for entertainment purposes only. I wouldn't base a single one of my future purchases on SML period from this point on. If you want honest results then check out some of the testing happening here on this forum from members, and from GOL. No conflicts of interest, just other people that are plain nuts about this hobby.

Longsnowsm

Advanced Member

Like Roy said, they are two completely different tests with different parameters.
    Our test was "worst-case" and you would certainly get better results on other vehicles that aren't so large and reflective.

As for the Blinder mounting, here's what Sethy had to say about the installations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    I placed the blinders in the position that they were in, blinder dude placed his prototypes where I had them, it is hot his fault that his jam,mers were installed poorly, it is where the "amatures" would install them, its where I felt it would offfer the best protection. I have learned a lot from that installation. I wish I could have a second chance at installation, i know the blinder is a lot better then what that test showed.
    There were a lot of people at the GOL test who have more experience with jammer installations than most people out there, including the manufacturer's rep, and all thought that the original installation location would work fine. Anyone who bought the Blinder and installed it on a similar vehicle would have likely chosen a similar or even worse location to mount the units, and I would bet that the "professional installers" would have done the same. There are basic rules to follow for an installation, but there's no way to know just how optimal an installation is without actually having all of the laser guns to test with.

We did do a few runs later off the record with the top Blinder transponders moved down onto the grille, and it did cut the punchthroughs in half. But in order for someone to actually mount them there for a permenant installation, they would either need to mount them in front of the grille sticking out, or they would need to cut holes in the grille.

Jim

Thanks for all the responses guys. So it seems like installation is a key factor for the jammers to be effective. Here's the installation of the M-20 on my RX8. Ideally, I would have liked to place them in the top-side portions of the grill but this is impossible without removing the bumper and cutting the grill. I'm not able to do that right now though. Do you think the I'm compromising protection based on where they're at now? I'm a bit worried that they're too far from the headlights.

Here's where they're at now:

Here's where I'd like them placed ideally (w/ Sethy's advice):

Old Timer

Heck no, those blinders are way to low and close together, the punch through on that car will be ugly.

I would move them up to that other mounting location...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Heck no, those blinders are way to low and close together, the punch through on that car will be ugly.

I would move them up to that other mounting location...
    looks like I'll be sending RX8rider a DIY on front bumper removal (seriously it takes 15 minutes at most if you have the right tools)

then cutting out the grill pieces should be really easy...but I'd remove the grill from the backside of the bumper first (this is a V-red 8, mine is also silver like RX8riders):

Power User

If you can't mount them where Sethy suggested, at least move them as far out as you can toward the fog lights.

Longsnowsm

I second Sethy's installation location.

Longsnowsm