Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Manufacturer

Default Update/Revision/Correction to our Review

I think I finally found out why my latest V1 has an increased tendency to false on "K-band" relative to its older brother, the V1 v1.7.

In examing the affect "L" mode has on K sensitivity (which I believe is none) I stumbled across an error that I have likely made with respect to some of my interpretations of the V1's alerts.

During some part of my driving route I may have inadvertantly left the "H" feature set in a way that enabled Ku reception!

The thing is that the V1 Ku alerts with the identical tone as K! - the only difference being that the K-led band indicator does not light. The bogey counter displays a little period/dot next to the numeral displayed. I am certain that some of the alerts that we had believed were, in fact, Ku! Mea culpa! :shock:

When I confirmed (yesterday) that Ku was disabled, the falsing rate was more in line with the older V1.

First, I want to apologize to everyone , for my mis-interpretation of some of those K/Ku alerting cases.

Second, I am going to contact VR on Monday to share what I think is [at least part] of the answer [as we couldn't figure it out] and to suggest a filtering option like the "L" mode to apply to Ku because it feels like X-falsings - which can be tamed by this operation mode - and suggest a different tone selection (how about X-tone if they do not wish to add a unique tone like that of the RX65.

Third, I am going, to revise/update/correct for the record, our review to reflect this [new] realization.

Fourth, will run some additional comparisons between the the RX65 Pro and the latest V1 with both Ku bands enabled. (We have done some relatively brief comparisons and found the RX65 to be quieter than the V1 with Ku enabled.) Why do this? Because Ku is still used in some parts of Europe and may be stateside very soon.

If it acts like X-band - which it might - bettering filtering may be in order.

Would any of you who have V1s with Ku reception capability turn this mode on and provide some of your experiences, as a result?

In the meantime, I have some revising to do...

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Lead Foot

Thank your for updating your review and for your honesty. In my tests of the V1 v1.8 pre pop it certainly didn't false a lot on K band. In fact, in many geographic areas it seemed to false less than v1.7. Having the Ku band turned on certainly would make sense re the increased falsing.

Manufacturer

Coupled with the fact that it alerts with the same tone as K and 1) disabling POP did not seem to diminish the frequency of "falses" since Ku may have been the culpbrit [at least with some of them] and 2) the v1.7 that I own does not have Ku reception ability.

Again, I can't be sure if this capability was enabled during our videoing of the detectors POST/programming features that we did after our road test and just before our initial public release of our report.

But, given that I did find it enabled yesterday and the detector did have a noticeable increase of "K/Ku" alerts during our drive circuit yesterday and I can't be certain that it wasn't enabled [on at least part of our trip], I believe, in fairness to our readers and to the manufacturer that I should give VR all the benefit of any doubt...

Jon_Doh, would you try enabling the "H" function and see if you see a marked increase in falsing in your area. I would like to flush this out as quickly as possible.

The Veil Guy
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Radar Fanatic

I have been running with Ku on I get a false about every other day.
    Only one LED, never in the same place. Either another detector or heard some cell phones might cause this?

Founder of Stealthvation

I have had my KU on for about a month now and received my first KU false at the laser car wash yesterday
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Default RX65 Ku

I've had Ku on with my RX65 for about 2 months, I believe, and haven't heard it go off yet.

Manufacturer

happya$$,

what exactly is a laser carwash?

The Veil Guy 8)

Manufacturer

V1 Dave,

overhead satellites, perhaps? :wink:

The Veil Guy 8)

Advanced Member

I think Ku falses DO come from other detectors. I know for a fact that the LOs in some of today's detectors sweep the Ku range.

Today, I set up the RX-65 and the V1 w/pop (Ku turned on) on the test bench, a few feet apart, with both of them turned on. The BEL caused weak Ku falses on the V1. This happened multiple times over an hour period. I got a couple of weak X-band falses too, but most of them were on Ku. It was sort of random, but on average I would get an alert every 6-7 minutes, and it never went for 10 minutes without at least one Ku alert. With the BEL turned off, for almost 40 minutes now, the V1 hasn't falsed once.

I'll take a guess on why the alerts didn't happen more often: the timing has to be just right. The V1 has to be looking for Ku at the exact same time that the BEL's LO is tuned to Ku during it's normal sweep. Both detectors have different sweep schemes/rates, and it would likely take some minutes for these events to occur at exactly the same time.

Could this be what you experienced in your testing Bob?

Jim

Speed Demon

My experience is like V1Dave's. I get about one Ku false every two outings (on my drive from MD to NC today I got 2 falses). It's always just one dot on the strength meter and it goes away after 1 beep.
    Richard