Speed Demon

Default ProLaser II vs RC10 GT car.

Ok, this may seem goofy but there was a reason behind the madness. I attached a highly reflective CA plate to my RC10 GT remote control car and tested the range that I could get a speed reading on the small target. I did this with the plate and then with the plate covered with a Lexan cover with IR/UV absorbing film.

With just the plate it averaged 120-130 feet away. With the plate and cover it averaged 90-100 feet away. I was hoping for better, but heck, at least the home made cover does cut down a little. Although the furthest distance measured was 153 feet with or without the cover, the speed acquisition distance was shorter more often when the cover was used by about 20%.

Not sure this really has much value other than to show you don't need much of a target to get a speed reading. In this case, up to 153 feet away with only about 1/2 square foot of surface area gets a speed reading.

I'll have to try the PLII against some of my remote control airplanes next time I go flying to check out their speed!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 904nm; 02-13-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Default Re: ProLaser II vs RC10 GT car.

It takes a little practive, but the PL3 kicks ass on birds.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Won Hunglo View Post
    LOL! Yesterday I clocked Seagulls flying over us! Basically I think I have clocked anything that moves. Sometimes I take it with me when I take the wife on errands to kill time waiting for her clocking anything that moves nearby. (Except the police helicopter as I don't know if it might set off some alarm in the thing.)

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by 904nm View Post
    LOL! Yesterday I clocked Seagulls flying over us! Basically I think I have clocked anything that moves. Sometimes I take it with me when I take the wife on errands to kill time waiting for her clocking anything that moves nearby. (Except the police helicopter as I don't know if it might set off some alarm in the thing.)
    Probably won't set anything off, just don't aim it at an Apache AH-64.

Professional

Haaha, that licence plate almost looks like a HUGE spoiler on that RC car... Heh.

Lead Foot

I clock helicopters all the time - Troopers and National Guard Mostly since they have a habit of flying over my house. Also when I get bored sitting in our RV before and after Nascar races I clock helios. My best distance on a helicopter was about 7,000 feet with my LA III.

What's funny is that if I clock the blades I get crazy jam codes on the LA.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by samq45 View Post

I clock helicopters all the time - Troopers and National Guard Mostly since they have a habit of flying over my house. Also when I get bored sitting in our RV before and after Nascar races I clock helios. My best distance on a helicopter was about 7,000 feet with my LA III.

What's funny is that if I clock the blades I get crazy jam codes on the LA.
    That's what we need, propellers on the front of our cars!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by chriskohtc View Post
    Haaha, that licence plate almost looks like a HUGE spoiler on that RC car... Heh.
    It acted like a spoiler. I could not go over 25MPH because the front wheels would lift off the ground and lose steering control.

Lead Foot

It acted like a spoiler. I could not go over 25MPH because the front wheels would lift off the ground and lose steering control.
    So then, it acted like the exact opposite of a spoiler?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
    So then, it acted like the exact opposite of a spoiler?
    Yes and no. It acted as a spoiler but with way too much downforce behind the rear wheels. Which in a way caused the opposite effect you get with a spoiler.