Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ES13Raven

Default Bel Express 795 30 min drive test...

So I was going to give my sister my Whistler Pro 58 because she recently got a ticket from CHP. The CHP (Ka) was going the opposite direction and a RD could have totally saved her butt.

But then I read this thread where Boomerman tested the Bel Express795 (only available from RadioShack) against the Pro 58 in a "drivability test" and the Bel showed better filtering, but still had great range. After having the RX65 and X50 - I am definitely a Bel fan. The major feature I look for now is less false alerts but still having great range, and Bel has mastered that.

So I decided to buy the Express e795 at RS while it is on sale for $80. RadarTest recently rated this detector 5/5 stars and best in overall performance for RDs under $100 HERE.

It looks like the higher end Vector models, rather than the other Express models and has the RJ-11 style power adapter:

I did a 30 minute drive test around town where I knew there are known X, K and sometimes Ka falses. The 795 did not false in several places where the Pro 58 does. In fact I would say that the filtering was almost that of the RX65 or X50 except for the fact that the 795 would Ka false where there was a strong X false, due to that 3rd harmonic of X issue. The RX65 and X50 implement algorithms to check for this, where the 795 does not.

The City mode only filters X band, but you still get a visual alert to X under a certain threshold, which is nice. That is one thing that the RX65 does as well, but not the X50.

All in all, I would say that this should be the best detector for under $100, and definitely a steal at $80. I would recommend this detector over all others under $150 for friends and family.

If anyone wants a good deal on a Pro-58, let me know :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Going to have a hard time telling the PRO-58 now after that post

I think (from also having this detector and posting my review[s] of it on this website) that it is also the best under 100dollar detector you can buy as far as overall performance (little falsing/detection range etc etc) ...from my experience. I wouldnt not trade it in for my higher end detectors, but would be very confident as using it as a backup for them...I think you will find the detection is ample in most cases in further test drives.

Newcomer

Ok...new ?....i see the picture at radioshack and it has a signal indicator with 4 red dots...and i see the 3 yellow indicators for k, ka and x....what does the green dots P and C mean?

is this detector (795) the exact same as the 935 except for the LED vs LCD?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ace2525
    Ok...new ?....i see the picture at radioshack and it has a signal indicator with 4 red dots...and i see the 3 yellow indicators for k, ka and x....what does the green dots P and C mean?

is this detector (795) the exact same as the 935 except for the LED vs LCD?
    P=Power
    C=City

Newcomer

thanks...do u know the answer to the other ?....

Speed Demon

I bought the E795 on 12-16-05 and after 2 1/2 days I am not impressed. I see that everyone is raving about this detector that is the reason I bouhgt it. It is suppose to be my backup and is going to be installed in my wifes Ford Explorer. I have been testing it and the local falses such as CVS and Walgreens the E795 did not alert at all to the K band doors. I mean not 1 time. Don't tell me that its filtering is superior to the RX65. I got a Ka band alert today and it alerted when I was right on top of the cop.
    I even took the first E795 back to RS because the way it was performing, did not match up to all the post by Boomerman, Airmoore and others. I'm going to give it to the end of the week just to be fair. If I decide not to keep this detector, can any of you guys recommend a backup detector for me that has a better display and better range. Also, I would like to disable X band with a similar price range. When I say similar I mean $150.00 or so. The Pro series Whistlers are out because I have owned those and can not tolerate the falses.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    I bought the E795 on 12-16-05 and after 2 1/2 days I am not impressed. I see that everyone is raving about this detector that is the reason I bouhgt it. It is suppose to be my backup and is going to be installed in my wifes Ford Explorer. I have been testing it and the local falses such as CVS and Walgreens the E795 did not alert at all to the K band doors. I mean not 1 time. Don't tell me that its filtering is superior to the RX65. I got a Ka band alert today and it alerted when I was right on top of the cop.
    I even took the first E795 back to RS because the way it was performing, did not match up to all the post by Boomerman, Airmoore and others. I'm going to give it to the end of the week just to be fair. If I decide not to keep this detector, can any of you guys recommend a backup detector for me that has a better display and better range. Also, I would like to disable X band with a similar price range. When I say similar I mean $150.00 or so. The Pro series Whistlers are out because I have owned those and can not tolerate the falses.
    Not falsing at CVS and Walgreens was one of the big reasons I like the unit.
    I think the filtering may be better since it may not be as sensitive compared to the RX 65

As far as the KA band alert I have noticed a lot of the Indiana State Police are using instant on now, so that could be the reason it did not detect it until you were up on him.
    I would not disable X band since it is being used still in Indiana.
    The range I have gotten with this unit has been quite impressive.

Professional

return the unit its not working right try one more if that one does the same then buy the whistler model

ES13Raven

I even took the first E795 back to RS because the way it was performing, did not match up to all the post by Boomerman, Airmoore and others. I'm going to give it to the end of the week just to be fair.
    I hope that means that you took the first one back, and are now on your 2nd one to test out. I think any RD can have its bad apples and maybe you got one.
    If you are on your 2nd one, give it at least a weeks worth of driving with it until you make your final opinion of it. :wink:

I have had the Bel795 for a few weeks now. I like the fact that it does not give alot of falses as the Whistlers. In Indiana, I drive Highway 465 every day. They are going to alot on instant on. I little surprised with the instant on's. I have seen just here lately 2 State LEO's sitting just beyond the exit lane on the right side of the highway, doing instant on with another LEO on the left side of the highway doing the running. I would have never thought they would be on the opposite side of the highway, only caught it because I was in slow lane. They was no radar detection, but then all of of sudden the detector went crazy and than it stopped again than I seen the LEO. Was really happy that day of being in the slow lane. Unusal for me. They are so sneaky. I always get plenty of notice in Carmel, Indiana because they radar continuously. I do not believe that any RD is going to give you a good alert if they are going to instant on. But I do like the Bel795.