Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Celica GT and Blinder M47 test results

Thanks to DrCoke for taking the time to test my setup and also for sharing loads of information on how to improve it. It is one thing to take the time to assist someone with testing, but it is quite another to do it on a holiday. DrCoke was generous enough spend time testing with me on Independence Day. Thank You!

I will do my best to accurately describe the results here. My notes are a bit disorganized, so hopefully this makes sense.

The gun used for testing was an Ultralyte LR B, and we tested on two courses. The first set of tests were done on a shorter, 600' course , and the second where done on a 2200' course

Set 1 Short course

Front
    Driver Side - 400'
    Center Mass - JTG
    Passenger Side - 400'

Rear
    Driver Side - Instant
    Center Mass - 400'
    Passenger Side - Instant

Set 2 Long course

Front
    Driver Side - 2000, 1400, 400
    Center Mass - JTG
    Passenger Side - 400

Rear
    Driver/Passenger Side - Instant to 600; and 1400'
    Center Mass - JFG

Observations:

Front jammer heads towed in, this was more pronounced on the driver side. Also the front jammer heads are recessed into the lower air passage. Front headlights are treated with Veil (though my lack of artistic flair with a paint brush is apparent)

DrCoke said the rear setup was near perfect as far as aiming them. Unfortunately, the design of the car presents mounting options that are less than ideal. No Veil on rear tail lights at the time of testing.

Recommendations:

*Apply Veil to tail lights.
    *Move the front heads forward so they clear the bumper.
    *Eliminate tow in on front jammer heads.

I have attached pictures to this post that show my setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Celica GT and Blinder M47 test results

All PT was recorded and rounded to the nearest 50ft as I had to remember the PT for 3 runs at a time.
    I check the front/rear heads for being "squared to the road" and found the front was toed in using the "fishing line" method. 1 head was at least 10-degrees inward and the other at least 5 degree inward. The rear was near perfect that I feel would be consider "perfect" by most standard but hey, I'm an enthusist and demand perfecting. I did not check to see if the heads were "level" to the road as I dont have a Blinder Leveler.

I was shocked that I got Instant PT on the rear lights as if it had no jammers. My only suggestion is the heads may not have been allign to the road but is squared to the road. Advised Switch to check the heads and veil the rear. If the rear still fails, change the configuration to 3-front heads and 1-rear ticket notifier.

I shot standing from the passanger side of the road 3-feet fron the road. Somehow got a lucky shot and nailed Switch at 2,000ft and near instant at 1,400ft. Also nailed his tire on the same run at 400ft. I aimed directly at the Veil headlights on the other frontal shots. His CM is fully covered.

I advise if the rear fails after the fix, move the front heads father apart near the foglight area and add a 3rd head in the front/middle on the bumper.
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 07-24-2010 at 05:25 PM.

snoopyc4

The results make sense. I think the only way you are going to make the big HL PTs go away is to move the jammer heads into the upper grille. IMO they are too low where they are currently placed.

Dr Coke, you're getting good.

Lead Foot

Wow, those rear jammers are HUGE

I don't think any officer that pulls you over is going to miss that.

I'd suggest a new mounting location or a really good explanation as to what those "things" are protruding from the back of your car like an alien-craft

Is modifying the bodywork on the rear bumper out of the question? Due to the instant PT's achieved during testing, they need a better location....

Perhaps flat, on top of the trunk, at the base of the wing on each side?

Perhaps have rear panel modified and have them mounted closer to the taillights, for a more flush look. Though that may look equally obvious.

Experts: would a mounting location on the underside of the wing be too high?

Waiting for Blinder Reps to chime in...
    Last edited by Cauhauna; 07-11-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post

I'd suggest a new mounting location or a really good explanation as to what those "things" are protruding from the back of your car like an alien-craft

Is modifying the bodywork on the rear bumper out of the question? Due to the instant PT's achieved during testing, they need a better location....

Perhaps have rear panel modified and have them mounted closer to the taillights, for a more flush look. Though that may look equally obvious.

I think if he went double sided tape in the rear, the heads would be more concealed. I've seen very good results with the M47 on other cars who posted there results here with video. I'll still blame the install over the Product as I can't confirm the heads were leveled to the road. Oh, I even got a reading on the pipes .

Professional

Stealth the ride, not the install. You need to put the heads where ever is optimum for jamming, and not for concealment. With my Blinders, I have found that alignment is everything. My first test, the heads were off by 5 degrees this way and/or 10 degress the other way. Also, one had the receiving end on the wrong side. So I realigned my heads and put both of the recceiving ends on the outside.

The first time I tested before I made corrections, I was getting PT all over from 1000+ feet all the way down to 300 or 400 feet. After I made the corrections in alignment, I got several JTG's and all PT was less than 300 feet. HUGE Improvement with alignment. Keep in mind that I have a Blinder on a white SUV. :P

-Oyu

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Oyusan View Post
    Stealth the ride, not the install.
    I don't disagree with this at all.

But, something is definitely wrong with the rear, as shown by the instant pt's.

neither the ride nor the install is stealth in this case

OP: keep us updated, bro.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by DrCoke View Post

I think if he went double sided tape in the rear, the heads would be more concealed. I've seen very good results with the M47 on other cars who posted there results here with video. I'll still blame the install over the Product as I can't confirm the heads were leveled to the road. Oh, I even got a reading on the pipes .
    Do you mean moving the heads and using double sided tape, or mounting them where they are now? If I were to do the latter, I think I might have a problem with the curvature of the body. Though that license plate area looks flat, it actually does have a curvature that would cause tow out. That is unless there is a mounting technique that can overcome this problem, but I don't know how I could do that yet.

Would I use the sticky tape with the "Feet" that come with the head? Can I trust the tape to not yield to heat and moisture? Perhaps I could put screws in once the position is good.

Body mods are currently not an option due to the expense, but could be possible later. I would like to have other body work done to the car, and some new paint sometime this year. For now though, I have already blown my wad on my countermeasures.

Professional

Do you think the heads are too far from the tail lights? I figured that distance from the tail light would be my major issue in the back. I don't really have any idea how far is too far, or what kind of coverage I should expect with proper alignment.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by switch626 View Post

Do you think the heads are too far from the tail lights? I figured that distance from the tail light would be my major issue in the back. I don't really have any idea how far is too far, or what kind of coverage I should expect with proper alignment.
    Heads installed in the "Ideal" area with proper allignment=JTG. Your rear CM was JTG because the heads are right there. The tail light is a little far from the heads so PT occured. Sometimes even with proper install, PT still occurs and thats just part of the game. Not every car can be protected 100% as DJRams80 Black Mustang got PT with the Stalker and JTG with every other gun.