Default Using a Ka band police radar antenna for radar testing

Ok so here is my question. I dont have the money to spend on a legit ka band radar unit at the moment, but it would be nice to be able to test ka sensitivity, range, etc. I have noticed that you can purchase a used ka band radar antenna for a dash mount unit on ebay fairly cheap sometimes. Would it be possible to buy one of these and power it up in order to transmit only or is there some huge reason this will not work that I am just not aware of? Any thoughts would be great, if it is just a dumb idea that would be good information as well lol.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Using a Ka band police radar antenna for radar testing

Don't waste your money...antenna will do you no good w/o the electronics to power the antenna.
    It's like having a TV antenna on your roof w/o the TV in your living room.

Experienced

If you are referring to the testing of RD sensitivity on Ka, most modern RDs are quite sensitive on this band. And be aware that from patrol car to patrol car, the aiming of its antenna can make a big difference in the radar's range and ability of a RD to pick up these much weaker signals than on K or X band.

Besides, like the other poster says, doing what you want to do has a lot of electronic problems in the mating of any antenna to a gun of another make unit.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by smokinu454 View Post
    Ok so here is my question. I dont have the money to spend on a legit ka band radar unit at the moment, but it would be nice to be able to test ka sensitivity, range, etc. I have noticed that you can purchase a used ka band radar antenna for a dash mount unit on ebay fairly cheap sometimes. Would it be possible to buy one of these and power it up in order to transmit only or is there some huge reason this will not work that I am just not aware of? Any thoughts would be great, if it is just a dumb idea that would be good information as well lol.
    Far better to get a older whistler 68se or 78 se off of ebay and use it as a ka band source.

that is what I do with my last generation whistler 78 se. When it is put on program mode it emits a real nice ka band signal and this was designed into the unit by whistler as a ka band test source.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by smokinu454 View Post
    Unlike K or X band, Ka band used in the US has 3 main frequencies. 35.5, 33.8 and 34.7. No one antenna will produce all frequencies. Depending on how good your radar detector is, each frequency has different characteristics as far as sensitivity to your radar detector. Example, your detector may be good picking up 34.7 like the stalker radar but may fall short in sensitivity range with 35.5 like the Decatur and Kustom radar units. To test Ka, you really need to have the 3 frequencies to get a good idea. But you don't need to have a Ka radar system. Just look up GOL and check their various tests results. They have done it so many times and you should have a good idea how your radar detector performs by just looking at the data. As for just the antenna and powering it up, you will never get what you wanted. As the previous poster stated, it's just like a TV antenna without the TV set. Good luck in your search. Just read around here. There's tons of information. I might add that in order to have good quality test results, you need to have some material to cover the antenna to limit the range so you can have a controlled test result. Without it, you will be testing your radar detectors sensitivity by miles and you will have problems with reflection, obstruction and etc. that will have inconsistent results.
    Last edited by KnightHawk; 08-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Mobile Installer

Drive around and find a constant ka radar source and test that way.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

V1 Zombie

Just go out and a get Rocky Mountain radar. Bingo