Last week I got a Whistler Pro58 unit...to eventually give to my dad. Of course, I had to try it out as my curiousity was killing me. Now, I did compare it to my V-1 1.8 POP2...and both were on at the same time high up on the window above the rearview mirror. I know you are not suppose to do this...but I did it anyway. I did have the Pro58 on, at times, by itself.
Here is comparing the apples to oranges....
(V-1 in "L" [advanced logic mode]....Pro58 in "H" [highway] mode)
1) Driving through country intersection, Sheriff Patrol with KA radar on (about 50 yards to my right coming at me). V-1 side arrows lit, most LED's lit, mostly full audio alert. Pro58 only a brief KA alert for 2 seconds. LED "1" lit up. Interesting.
2) Same Sheriff Patrol Constant-On Ka Band radar behind me 150 yards for 2 miles...some straightaways..some hills and curves. V-1 rear arrow lit, all LED's lit, full audio alert. Pro58....nothing except for two quick KA LED "1" alerts. BIG disappointment.
3) Driving past known K-band and X-band door openers. V-1 usual "wide" coverage from sides. Pro58 seemed to have very narrow reception. Very limited alerts from "radar sources" from the sides. Now, this could be good or bad.
4) Driving down expressway. Both units on. Instant on K-band blasted car in front of me..I was about 1/2 mile from State Trooper in Median..snuggled in trees. I was going 78 in 70 zone. He then zapped me around 150 feet. I was down to 72. V-1 alerted full at 1/2 mile about 1/2 second quicker than Pro58. Pro58 alerted LED "5" at 1/2 mile. At 150 feet, both alerted full....at same time.
5) Road Construction signs in Grand Rapids, MI emitting K-band radar. About one mile out V-1 picks up initial alert. (Signs were NOT on straightaway...instead around corners, etc). Pro58, about 1/2 mile warning.
6) Pro58 alerted me to about 1/2 dozen falses from other radar detectors coming at me. V-1 kept quiet. When the Pro58 sounded off an alert and the V-1 did not, I was observant of cars coming at me. That way I knew what car had the radar detector in it.
7) Programming the unit was easy enough. Audio alerts were adequate. The "Intense Blue Display" was totally lost in the sun when I initially attached it to the windshield. I like the red display on the V-1 better.
I know, V-1 = 400 bills. The Pro58 = 69 bills. Really no comparison. BUT I just thought you guys would want to see this.
Instead of paying the 15% restocking fee from where I bought it (edited to delete website!) AND shipping back to them, I will put it on EBAY..and hope to get the 69 smacks back....and I will look into BELS (Like I originally was going to do!).