Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    I am surprised why more people are not bringing up the POP falsing issue the X50 & RX65 have.
    Because they all turned off the pop feature because it was too annoying. Whereas before the v1 has pop, that feature was the be all and end all must have.

Good Citizen

I am surprised why more people are not bringing up the POP falsing issue the X50 & RX65 have.
    I don't think the X50 has a POP falsing issue. When I enabled POP on my X50, I probably got two false POPs a week. The reason I turned mine off was due to the fact that Roy mentioned two states in which it was used. He mentioned that we should just turn it off if we didn't live in those states...and I don't. Same reason I turned off X.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the X50 seemed to false on POP for me whenever I was RIGHT next to another vehicle, probably from a crappy detector. I mean, literally, as I passed another vehicle driving on the road, my X50 falsed on POP at the exact moment when the vehicle passed. One time, I passed a vehicle pulled off on the side of the road and my X50 alerted to POP at the exact moment that I passed the vehicle.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon
    I don't think the X50 has a POP falsing issue. When I enabled POP on my X50, I probably got two false POPs a week. The reason I turned mine off was due to the fact that Roy mentioned two states in which it was used. He mentioned that we should just turn it off if we didn't live in those states...and I don't. Same reason I turned off X.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the X50 seemed to false on POP for me whenever I was RIGHT next to another vehicle, probably from a crappy detector. I mean, literally, as I passed another vehicle driving on the road, my X50 falsed on POP at the exact moment when the vehicle passed. One time, I passed a vehicle pulled off on the side of the road and my X50 alerted to POP at the exact moment that I passed the vehicle.
    I really really recommend you turn Xband back on. http://www.radardetector.net/A-call-...yth.-1150t.php

I've seen posts on here from many many states now of small police departments still using X-band.... not just NJ and OH.

Good Citizen

Yeah, I saw that post and I am seriously thinking about it. If I remember when I get in my car today, I probably will.

Good Citizen

I agree that the x50 has a falsing POP issue. If the V1 only had a falsing issue with one other band, I would have kept it. But it seemed to me the V1 falsed on k, x, and laser. A bit too senstive for my taste.

But I will admit, it is very annoying to get a POP alert from the x50...sort of scares ya right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by pemarsh
    I agree that the x50 has a falsing POP issue. If the V1 only had a falsing issue with one other band, I would have kept it. But it seemed to me the V1 falsed on k, x, and laser. A bit too senstive for my taste.

But I will admit, it is very annoying to get a POP alert from the x50...sort of scares ya right off the bat.
    Yeah, maybe if the POP alert on the 8500 was not as urgent sounding, it might not be too bad. I usually got one or two pop falses a day just driving around town. One time I was right beside a trooper in a parking lot and the 8500 was going full-tilt then all of a sudden it gave the POP alert.

I think both the V1 and 8500 are in the "learning stages" on detecting POP. Mike V's admission that the V1 doesn't detect POP 100% of the time is an indication that he's tired of the V1 getting dragged through the mud in all the press and all the advertising praise the 8500 is getting.

Craig Peterson's estimate of the 8500's success against POP is, IMHO, too high and along with that, the new 2 small paragraphs he threw in about the new V1 being equal to the BEL is somewhat suspect, too. I doubt you'll ever hear him willingly admit the V1 is better... although I have no proof that it is, either. Also, I don't put much stock in Radar Roy's reviews either. As soon as he stops selling Belscorts, then I'll give his tests more credence. A guy who sells brand X and Y isn't going to tell you that brandy Z is a better product.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

The POP on ly RX65 can be a little annoying at times, but once I get in a rural or highway scenario, it really shuts up. People with detectors passing me rarely cause my POP to alert, mostly just when the vehicle is coming towards me, and on an interstate, the other lanes are far enough away its never been an issue. Also, i've noticed that Whistler detectors never set it off, just Radioshack, some Cobra units, and my mother's Bel 925, but the majority of detectors around here seem to be Whistlers (they're $40 at wal-mart so whadda you think people will buy), so it's not all that bad. I give it a little more priority if it POPs twice, otherwise I ignore it on the streets bad with falsing. I'm usually not speeding more than 5mph over there anyways. The filtering on POP isn't that great with Bel at this point, but it's nothing I can't live with.

Here's an interesting thought, Valentine supposedly has the best Ka/POP filtering, and the Bel has pretty decent X and K. If they didn't interfere with each other too much, a guy could run an RX65 with only X and K on, and run a V1 with only Ka and POP on..... Might be cool as long as the emissions from the two didn't try to kill each other.

Good Citizen

Default POP in Indiana

I live in Indiana one of the states that is supposed to have POP in use and I have never encountered it. I drive with mine on all the time and I get more falses from the POP than anything else. I agree, I think that the RD companies are just scrambling to adjust to the new technology. I think that the new testing this summer will be intersting. I'm sure none of us are to worried about the cost, we just need something that works! I just wish that they would come up with something better for Laser. That is the way of the future. I manage a car dealership and drive a different car most days. With laser, I am highly at risk. Thank God I encounter very little of it...for now

Founder of Stealthvation

Here are my observations and experiences of all three detectors in the past 5 months. This is NOT MEANT to be a bashing session on ANY of the big wonderful three.

Radar detection is about the same on all three. The only difference is that the V1 has a wider view or peripheral vision. On the video that Outrun showed us the V1 would have detected the cop cars on the pizza parking lot at a better. This wider view or peripheral vision also can be a disadvantage because it picks up more door openers, and other junk. The "tunnel vision" of the RX65 and X50 still pick up the immediate threats without picking up the door openers and junk. The ONLY real advantage that I see on the V1 is its laser detection capability. Other than this they all rock. Just look at the RX65 (Outrun's video) picking up instant on Ka band, WOW! Look at my V1 pick up laser from other cars, WOW! I do have to say that my favorite feature of all three is X50's multiple band display. This feature is AWESOME and one I like to see on the V1.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Lead Foot

Yeah, I really think that, in the end, picking and crowning one as the be-all, end-all of radar detectors is kind of needless. Any one of the big three, in my opinion, will suit you well.

Personally, I love the Valentine, but the K-band issue drives me nuts, since a reasonable amount of driving is in / through a city - and, I don't like the idea of automatic muting on detection.

I don't know - I'm just really hesitant to give up my x50.