Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Road Trip- What to expect?

I'm not sure I've posted this in the right place, but it's the most fitting place I could find. I'm taking a ~1,500 mile 5 day road trip with some friends from Los Angeles to, among other places, Vegas, Lake Powell, and the Grand Canyon. We'll be spending significant time in NV and AZ on I-15 and I-40 as well as AZ-389 and US-89. I've got a 9500ix (yes, I know that a V1 would be better for a trip like this) and am planning on buying a cheap cobra CB and a lil' wil antenna. I haven't got any laser protection and probably won't invest in any. I have no idea what to expect in terms of Q/T or I/O radar or laser or speed monitoring by aircraft and greatly appreciate any input in terms of what to expect and, beside the obvious use of a rabbit, if there's anything I can do to increase the warning I get of LEOs.
    Thanks!

Lead Foot

Default Re: Road Trip- What to expect?

CHP use KA 34.7 on I-15. I have found that most of the time it is constant on. Nevada does use some POP although I haven't run into it much when I have traveled through Nevada on the I-15. NHP seem to use KA 33.8 and KA 34.7.

Watch for I/O on U.S. 89. Especially in Utah. There a couple of UHP that patrol all the way to Lake Powell and like instant on. I talked to one UHP whose patrol area is all the way to Lake Powell but he usually likes to stay North of the Kanab, UT area. I have been hit by them with I/O a couple of times.

If you end up going South of Las Vegas to the Laughlin area there are LEO's all over that road everytime I have been on it. It is a looong straight boring road and the speed limit is 65 MPH so that's why they like it. They like instant on too. Plus sometimes they will run planes there.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by stealthfz1 View Post
    CHP use KA 34.7 on I-15. I have found that most of the time it is constant on. Nevada does use some POP although I haven't run into it much when I have traveled through Nevada on the I-15. NHP seem to use KA 33.8 and KA 34.7.

Watch for I/O on U.S. 89. Especially in Utah. There a couple of UHP that patrol all the way to Lake Powell and like instant on. I talked to one UHP whose patrol area is all the way to Lake Powell but he usually likes to stay North of the Kanab, UT area. I have been hit by them with I/O a couple of times.

If you end up going South of Las Vegas to the Laughlin area there are LEO's all over that road everytime I have been on it. It is a looong straight boring road and the speed limit is 65 MPH so that's why they like it. They like instant on too. Plus sometimes they will run planes there.
    Thanks for all the info. What can u usually get away with on the long, boring, well patrolled roads? I know I'm playing with fire here, but on some stretches of road, you can get away with 15 over PSL and some you can't get away with 5 over.
    Thanks again.

Power User

UT does use arial patrol.

IIRC, Vegas uses a decent amount of LIDAR, as well as POP and I/O.

Lead Foot

Thanks for all the info. What can u usually get away with on the long, boring, well patrolled roads? I know I'm playing with fire here, but on some stretches of road, you can get away with 15 over PSL and some you can't get away with 5 over.
    Thanks again.
    Well, usually on that run from LA to Vegas a LOT of people are running pretty high speeds so rabbits aren't too hard to find. The US89 in the summer seems to have a decent amount of traffic and most of it is 2 lane. Unless you have a fast car(or ride a bike like I do) and are willing to pass you will probably be limited on that road from keeping a steady fast pace.

Lead Foot

Where in Utah? I haven't seen any planes in the air in Southern Utah. Or anywhere in Utah for that matter. Although, I haven't traveled too much in Northern Utah.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
    I'm not sure I've posted this in the right place, but it's the most fitting place I could find. I'm taking a ~1,500 mile 5 day road trip with some friends from Los Angeles to, among other places, Vegas, Lake Powell, and the Grand Canyon. We'll be spending significant time in NV and AZ on I-15 and I-40 as well as AZ-389 and US-89. I've got a 9500ix (yes, I know that a V1 would be better for a trip like this) and am planning on buying a cheap cobra CB and a lil' wil antenna. I haven't got any laser protection and probably won't invest in any. I have no idea what to expect in terms of Q/T or I/O radar or laser or speed monitoring by aircraft and greatly appreciate any input in terms of what to expect and, beside the obvious use of a rabbit, if there's anything I can do to increase the warning I get of LEOs.
    Thanks!
    If you got time get that cobra CB peaked and tuned to work at it's maximum performance, external speaker will not hurt $20 investment to listen to the LEO alerts.

As for me I got that same package, but not the same CB, but from TX to WY 2,500 miles round trip that CB will come in handy plus the ix, happy trails.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeker View Post
    If you got time get that cobra CB peaked and tuned to work at it's maximum performance, external speaker will not hurt $20 investment to listen to the LEO alerts.

As for me I got that same package, but not the same CB, but from TX to WY 2,500 miles round trip that CB will come in handy plus the ix, happy trails.
    I have the time to get the CB peaked and tuned, but I don't think there are too many CB shops in L.A.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by stealthfz1 View Post
    Where in Utah? I haven't seen any planes in the air in Southern Utah. Or anywhere in Utah for that matter. Although, I haven't traveled too much in Northern Utah.
    My parents were out that way this passed summer. I'm pretty sure they took I70. I was out there once as well and remember seeing the signs saying there is air patrol on I70.

Lead Foot

Originally Posted by stealthfz1
    Quote:

My parents were out that way this passed summer. I'm pretty sure they took I70. I was out there once as well and remember seeing the signs saying there is air patrol on I70
    Could be. UHP are pretty aggressive on I-70. Especially near Green River, UT. They like to hid under an overpass there and shoot traffic on the long straightaway outside of Green River. Couple of them came up real fast behind my Dad on a motorcycle trip last summer. I was way ahead of him in the curves on I-70 after we passed Green River coming back from Colorado. I was lucky not to get tagged.