Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Failure to Yield... You have got to be kidding me!!

My wife left this afternoon after eating lunch from our apartment. The exit of the parking lot is always a blind spot because vehicles are parked along the side of the road. She poked her nose out of the parking lot so she could see and legally yield to any oncomming cars before taking a left turn. Sure enough a car was coming so she fully stopped and let the car pass by. The cop pulled forward and completely stopped right in front of the parking lot staring at my wife. My wifes vehicle was 10 feet from the cop across the road. She was not interfering with any traffic. She was sitting at the exit. After 5 awkward seconds of sitting still my wife decided the officer for some reason wanted her to exit the parking lot and drive away. She did and sure enough she was pulled over. The citation was written for "Failure to Yield". The officer took her information without saying a word, handed her a ticket and left. My wife didn't have the chance to put in any input.

No one was cut off, and there was no failure to yield! Unless you count the cop?

The situation is obviously subject to interpretation and was fully justified by my wife. We live in a Mormon college town where the only source of income is handing out tickets. Speeding and parking tickets are handed out like candy here. We're definitely going to fight the ticket, but the turn over here is almost not existent. This is extremely frustrating, my wifes 21 and I'm only 20. This $85 ticket is only the start to at least $1,000 in insurance premiums. She has a speeding ticket on record for going 7MPH over in a 65 PSL.

It's extremely frustrating especially since the odds of winning are slim to none.

RadarBusters Associate

Default Re: Failure to Yield... You have got to be kidding me!!

sounds like a crappy situation, good luck with fighting it, hope you win.

In the mean time you should move to a different town one where traffic laws are the least of their worries

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRadar View Post
    sounds like a crappy situation, good luck with fighting it, hope you win.

In the mean time you should move to a different town one where traffic laws are the least of their worries
    Yeah no kidding I'll be moving and starting my Masters program in a little over a year. Still, so far away. I've got to find a way to get this off my mind.

We went to court on the day the ticket said to be there, but no one was around. We talked with the clerk and they said we had to fill out a paper and the date would be set for mid July. They schedule every single fight back to back. We're going to walk into court with a judge whose already pissed off at every other person arguing. Sigh...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smashedpumpkins View Post
    We went to court on the day the ticket said to be there, but no one was around. We talked with the clerk and they said we had to fill out a paper and the date would be set for mid July. They schedule every single fight back to back. We're going to walk into court with a judge whose already pissed off at every other person arguing. Sigh...
    No judge, officer, etc? As in... they weren't holding a court session? That sucks, they just royally wasted your time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashedpumpkins View Post
    No judge, officer, etc? As in... they weren't holding a court session? That sucks, they just royally wasted your time.
    Yeah they did, my wife and I were completely dressed up and ready to prove our point. The court house was pretty much empty. It was very annoying.

Radar Fanatic

Was court in session that day? If so, and the other side did not show up, you should have asked for a dismissal! Your odds of getting a dismissal would have been better had you hired an attorney though.

GTO_04

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04 View Post
    Was court in session that day? If so, and the other side did not show up, you should have asked for a dismissal! Your odds of getting a dismissal would have been better had you hired an attorney though.

GTO_04
    Not sure, they just said this is how they deal with all of the tickets. My fathers an Attorney and he said it's usual in smaller cities. We received the pre-trial date for July 14th.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Pre-trial for a freaking traffic citation?!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    Pre-trial for a freaking traffic citation?!
    I've known a lot of small towns, especially those sustained only bu a college or a single large employer have courts like this. It's an awesome "**** you" to anyone out of state/town as well as frustrating to everyone that lives there.